Saturday, November 7, 2020

Stoves

When we remodeled our kitchen, I wanted the latest and greatest stove. I did not want whatever I picked to be obsolete in a year or two. My designer friend, Christy suggested an induction stove--actually, it's a cooktop. I had never heard of that and didn't know anything about it. She said that she had one and loved it. I did some research and went to A-1 Appliance--our local appliance store. I asked questions. I got a demonstration and was sold! Water boiled in like 10 seconds! 

I certainly am no whiz in the science department, but the cooking method has something to do with magnets that heat the food regardless of the size "burner" you put the pan on. Meaning, even if your pot is way larger than the "eye"--it will cook evenly. It definitely works that way. Best evidence is a grilled cheese sandwich. You know how only the part over the actual burner gets brown (and then burns)? It's not like that. It cooks evenly to a nice toasty brown (or in my case, usually a light black!).

Little did I know that this new cooking type would require special cookware. That wasn't a big deal to me. I was actually happy to get new pots and pans. And, they weren't that expensive. However, I hated giving up my humongous pot that I used for "big" family cooking like 10 lbs. of potatoes, or two pounds of pasta, or a big shrimp boil. I found a fairly large pot, but couldn't find one as big as what I had. Oh well.

There are many things I like about the cooktop. But there are definitely a few things I do not like. When cooking, it makes a "sound." It's hard to describe. It's not even that noticeable, but I have very sensitive hearing. It bugs me. I don't really like it. The sound doesn't hurt my ears or anything--it's not high pitched. I just don't like it. So, there's that.

Another thing about an induction cooktop is that it's not particularly user friendly. It's not like a regular stove where you just turn it on. This one is all computerized. You turn the power on first. Then you select the "burner" you plan to use. Then you adjust the temperature with a little "slider" that you use with your finger. Sort of like swiping with your phone or kindle. Or you can tap it. But you definitely need a demonstration. You cannot just figure it out on your own. We know how to use it, so it's not a problem. But if anyone ever wanted to use it when we weren't here, it would be a problem. Actually, maybe that should fall in to the "pro" column.

The thing I hate the most is that when I have a large crowd, I'm used to using my cooktop as a buffet where people can just file through and fill their plates straight from the pots--or casseroles. This stove does an annoying thing. It beeps to signify that you have something on it, but is not turned on. It only seems to do that when I've just cooked on it. When it's "cold"--it doesn't do that. Considering the times are few and far between when the whole family is here, it's not that often. 

Now there is one "pro" that makes all the "cons" totally irrelevant. It's literally the easiest thing you will ever clean! No. Matter. What. You can boil things over. You can burn your food, but you cannot burn food on the cooktop. It's a very simple wipe up. No drip pans that get all ucky. Nothing you have to lift up and clean under. It's fast. It's smooth. It's perfect!

And here's the proof.
The other day, I was making myself Cream of Wheat for breakfast. I totally boiled it over. It was a huge mess. I didn't even freak out. Butch walked by and said, "Make a mess?" I wasn't one bit worked up. I just did one swipe with the dishcloth and voila!

I love that!! So darn easy. And because there's nothing to burn, the pot is easy to clean too! It all just wipes up quick and easy.

When we first got it, Stephanie said I would hate it because being black, it would shows every fingerprint and streak. Well, it's not really like that at all. Once in awhile, if I've had greasy things splatter, it will leave streaks. But in that case, I have a spray (Method) that Christy recommended. I spray it on and just wipe it off with a paper towel. And it smell so good.

So the bottom line is: just that one little thing is really the BIGGEST thing--easy to clean and nothing can get stuck on it. I love that. It far outways all the other annoyances. For sure.




3 comments:

  1. I've never cooked on an induction hob - we always have gas - but that certainly looks a lot easier to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh enjoy your new toy and the new pots and pans accessories!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this advertised and wondered what they were like so thank-you for your review. In another ten or fifteen years time we will all have to have them when we can no longer use natural gas, and you will be ahead of the curve!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.