Monday, September 9, 2013

Day 6---Capri

I'm so frustrated with the internet access. I have it for a minute at a time, then it cuts out. I just hope when we get to our new hotel tomorrow it will be better. 

On to the day.
I just had to take a picture of Butch's coffee---it's completely black. He has to fill his cup almost halfway with cream. I've never seen anything like it. Oh wait, yes I have. Greg likes it that way.

Our plan was to visit a monastery after breakfast. But when we got there, it was closed on Mondays. Just our luck. Looks like we're going to be able to squeeze it in before we have to leave tomorrow.
This perfume shop is why I'm so anxious to visit. The monastery formulated the perfume recipes that they use today. It's too long of a story to tell, but it's very interesting. I bought perfume. It's all made right here exactly how they did it in 1638! 

When we couldn't get in to the monastery, I decided to walk up the hill for a ways with Butch. He was off to find another cache. This one was going to be an hour and a half round-trip walk. We parted ways at the main piazza. I continued on to the top overlooking the harbor. 
Proof that I walked all the way up! It's been so hot on this whole trip that I've sweated like crazy. Today, it was a relief to have the clouds. I started shopping and strolling my way back down.
I had no idea "The Picnic" had branch in Capri! The food didn't look the same---no chicken salad or tea punch.
This jewelry was incredible. I didn't even go inside as I knew the prices would be outrageous. You know, when they don't want to show the prices in the window, you can bet it's out of this world.
Still, I was really lusting after this bracelet---mother-of-pearl, black pearls, pink and red coral, turquoise and painted enamel. Those little ladybugs were so cute. It was hard to walk away.
 If I was 20 years younger, I would have been all over these shoes. I'm pretty sure my girls would like them too. Talk about re-purposing---what an awesome key. Again, I didn't even go inside.
There were shops with beautiful clothes everywhere. Pretty much every shop was "high end." Still, I managed to do some Christmas shopping!

When I got back to the hotel, I wasn't there 5 minutes when Butch walked in. He found his cache and was happy. But, there was another that he missed due to mis-reading the map. He was trying to decide if he was gong back out again. First, we decided to walk to the "stairway to heaven." He'd been down there yesterday half way when he found his first cache. He was trying to decide if he was going to go all the way to the water. I knew I wasn't going to do that. Way too far. Counting this trip out, I'd done all the climbing I wanted to do---well, except for going back out to dinner.
We shared a chocolate chip gelato on the way back. He turned right around and left again for another hour and a half climb. When he got back, his "fitbit" (sort of like a pedometer---but so much more) "said" he had walked 109 flights of stairs. OMGosh! I bet his legs are going to cramp up tonight. He logged 9 miles walking today. I wish I had brought mine.

Actually, Butch didn't have anything else to do. He's not the sit around type---especially when he can't watch tv. The only thing on in English is Fox News and other news---all about the Syria crisis. He's having major withdrawals from missing all the football games this weekend. Me? I'm good with music. I'm never bored. I've just about finished my nearly 700 page book ( have 100 pages left) that I started right before this trip. The Host---soooo good! I said it before---you don't want to put it down. I'm happy sitting on the balcony with it.
This was our view at dinner tonight at Ristorante il Geranio (they have pots of geraniums everywhere, so I think geranio is Italian for geranium). I was a little concerned about eating outside---the mosquitoes here are awful. They are so bad, they have these electric things in the rooms. I guess they're like bug "zappers" but they don't make any noise. You know how mosquito bites can trigger my hives---well, luckily, even though I've been bitten at least a dozen times, my hives are still under control. In fact, I've been able to continuing the tapering off of the prednisone again. Ooops, I digress...
We shared everything again. This is just my half of the pasta with clams and porcini mushrooms. Delizioso! The key to eating clams and mussels is to just not look at them too closely!
Next we had veal scallopine with potatoes and tomatoes. We didn't know there were veggies on the side, so we ordered the eggplant parmigano. What you see here is just my half! Everything is so good. We have not had a bad meal anywhere. Except, I have no trouble passing up dessert. I have a crazy sweet tooth, but I do not like Italian desserts. I hate to say it, but other than her bread pudding, I didn't even like my Italian grandmother's desserts or cookies. I have a bag of M&M's that I munch on when I want something sweet. Works for me.
The stroll back to our hotel was cool and pleasant. And downhill!!

Tomorrow we get back on the boat for Rufulo. I'm really hoping the internet will be more reliable. I'm falling way behind on my blog reading---and I am having serious withdrawals. I can take or leave tv, but I am ADDICTED to the internet. No doubt.


  1. I'm pretty sure my daughter would love those shoes as well. Sounds like you're having a wonderful holiday....I love that part of the world.

  2. Another lovely day out with you. I love that jewellery and those shoes! to die for.

  3. I hope I made it on your Christmas shopping list! I can understand now why you couldn't FaceTime with me today if your Internet is so bad. Can't wait to hear about it all and share my stuff with you!

  4. Those shoes are amazing - as are the views. Hope you enjoyed the gelato - I do love it :)

  5. OMG that is one amazing vacation. Loving the shoes, gorgeous. Have fun and enjoy all that good food.


Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.