Friday, November 13, 2020

Friday Frustrations.

Yeah, well, I'm here to tell you that it's nearly impossible to remodel long distance! I'm referring to our beach condo in FL and the fact that we live in TN.

Phase 1: Let me start at the beginning---deciding and purchasing.

We went down to our place in Santa Rosa Beach on October 12th. We were there for several days and purchased all the tile and the granite for the counter top. We purchased appliances and worked through all of those problems (many not available within our time frame, sizes won't work, etc.) and got the stove and microwave set up for delivery. One thing depends on another. The stove has to be in so the countertop can be installed. Most refrigerators on back order. We'll deal with that later.

We bought new fans for each bedroom, light fixtures, bathroom vanities, faucets, knobs and all other assorted hardware. I bought rugs, towels, furniture, mirrors, towel hooks, decor items, pots and pans, bakeware and art. We ordered new fancy shades that we're really excited about. Basically we did it all on that trip. We're replacing all electrical receptacles and doors and hinges.   Basically, we want the place to look brand new again.

Everything was all set. Our "guy" was going to start around November 2nd. Turns out, his previous job ran over and he couldn't start then. His new date was November 9th.

Phase 2: Receiving deliveries, picking up tile and meeting the counter people. Also, we had things to go over with our "guy."

We went down again on November 9th (after a fun weekend with Sandy and Greg). 

Since our "guy" was to be starting on the 9th, we decided to stay at a the Wingate by Wyndham Hotel in Destin---about 30 minutes away (no hotels in Santa Rosa). In advance, we knew that we were confirmed with the deliveries and counter company. I had not heard anything about the tile. I called both places I ordered from. We were all set with one of them while I did not get a call back from the other.

On our way to the condo on the 10th, things started to go downhill. We stopped at the tile place I hadn't heard from--around 8 a.m. Of course, our "designer" wasn't there. She's a part-timer and doesn't respond to calls or emails unless she's at work. The guy that was helping me, went to the dock and found out that only half of my order was there. The other half was on backorder until the end of December! I was not happy. I told him that our tile man was starting this week. And, why wasn't I informed of the delay, blah, blah, blah, unacceptable, blah, blah, blah, not happy, blah, blah, blah, might cancel, blah, blah, blah. I needed it THIS week! He said he'd have my designer call me when she got in. 

We left there and I was worked up for sure. We picked up the other tile--no problem. We got to the condo and our "guy" wasn't there and hadn't started. We weren't happy about that either. Plus, there were things I needed to talk to him about regarding how the tile was to be installed--what I wanted where. I can't just do things simple! As a result, I don't want to leave any room for error or miscommunication via email. In person is the best way.

Now we're at loose ends. The furniture was to be delivered between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. For the appliances, we were getting a call about a half hour before they would get there. Do you think that just ONE time we could be the very first delivery? No, never.

The only set appointment we had was for the "templating" of the counter top. That was between 3-4 p.m. That guy actually came a half hour early. Yay! I am thankful for small blessings. The new counter install is all set for the following week. The stove has to be here for that. No problem, we were expecting that delivery today!

I never heard from my designer about the tile. Now I'm really pissed (pardon the language)!! I went back to the tile place where I had gotten the other tile and picked out the exact same tile (after going to so many tile places, I found they all basically carry the same thing at nearly the same prices). This lady told me that they had it at the warehouse and I could get it right away. I told her to work me up the bid. 

I immediately called the other lady I had never heard from all day. She said, "I emailed you this morning! The tile is coming from overseas, so we have no control over when it arrives." Of course, I wasn't checking my email, I was expecting a phone call! I asked why she hadn't told me right away. She said she didn't know about the delay. Uh, I didn't believe that for a second. During all of this, one thing I've learned---they tell you right away if something is backordered. I told her to cancel that part of the order and that I was coming back to the showroom to pick up the half that was there.

We also learned the hard way that just because they say that they have something doesn't always mean you'll get it. That happened when we bought the new dishwasher--they had 4 in stock, yet when our "guy" went to pick it up, they were out! OMGosh! This is all so darn frustrating. 

Around 4 p.m. the furniture arrived. The table has a big scratch, so that will be going back. Don't know when. Still no word on the appliances.

After the furniture guys left, I told Butch that I was going to pick up the tile and stop at the other tile place to pay for the new order. When I got to the store, I was told that she was with another customer. He went off to let her know I was here. I waited 45 minutes. I'm sure this was my punishment for canceling because when she got to me, it took exactly 15 seconds for her to say, "here's your check. Just drive around to the back and someone will load up your tile." Seriously, 15 seconds and I waited 45 minutes for that!! Well, the joke is on her. I'm never bored--or without my book! I sat there and read my Kindle on my phone! Ha ha, take that snobby tile lady!

I stopped and ordered the new tile. Things are starting to look up. Still, the appliances had not arrived. Around 6, Butch called. He was told that they deliver until 8 p.m. and we were still on the list. OMGosh!! We sat here ALL day (or at least Butch did)!

At 8 p.m. when no appliances had arrived, he called again. He spoke to a girl who was all apologetic and said that basically, the delivery guys set their own schedule and do whatever they want. They have no control over it. Wow, that wasn't a good answer. 

Butch got off the phone and said, "Let's go." I said, we might as well wait awhile longer, we've already wasted the day. I didn't understand why the store person couldn't call the delivery people to find out what was going on. I guess they just don't do that. 

Anyway, Butch got on his computer. OMGosh!! He had gotten an email at 6 p.m. that we were not getting our delivery that day after all!! They were coming the next day between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m! Now the tension was high all the way around. We had planned to leave really early the next morning to go home! Plus, how is it all of a sudden that they can give us a time frame?

We changed our plans. We didn't really have to get home. After all, we are retired. Plus, we didn't want to pay someone to sit there all day and wait, so we stayed. 

On the way to the condo the next morning, we got the call that they would be there around 11 a.m. Hmmm, now they can even give us a definite time? Well, I guess they really can't. We're still sitting there at noon!!! What was the point of that call? Surprisingly, Butch had calmed down. But not for long. He called and got the delivery manager on the phone. She got back to him and said they would be there by 1 p.m. They didn't get there at 1. It was more like 1:30 p.m. It's evident by what the manager told Butch that nobody knows anything! She said that they are not supposed to carry a delivery to the next day. And, she said they only work until 4! 

We finally got it and that's what counts.

Oh, and the refrigerator we wanted?? Well, it won't fit. We're back to square one with that! We found another, but NONE of the Lowes that had it in stock had a working phone number!! OMGosh! The problems continue. 

Our only option was to stop on the way home at DeFuniak Springs. Luckily for us, we met a fellow named Jeff. He was so extremely helpful. Our refrigerator is bought and set for delivery. I told him that he had redeemed our day! Actually, he redeemed our trip! 

Now I don't often get religious on my blog, but I do believe that God sends angels when you need them. I think Jeff was one! The other one was a big, burly guy who say me struggling to help Butch move that heavy, marble topped vanity in to the condo! He stepped in and helped. People really can be so nice!

Phase 3--still to come. We'll be back in 3 weeks for the refrigerator and to check everything out.

Did I mention that remodeling is fun!! It is really fun. Well, the buying and picking out part! Oh how I miss Christy!! All of this would have been her headache!! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! The stress! It is horrible waiting in for something to be delivered, especially when you wait all day and it still hasn't arrived. I would have been very cross! Let's hope the next instalment of the story is calmer ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Deb's sentiment. But I am not surprised that communication is done by email instead of customer service, because they can "get away with more" that way. I do believe that sometimes they don't always know about the backorder situation. It took Macy's a month to cancel my NYDJ jeggings order. I just took it as a sign that I am supposed to get them from somewhere else, but I will wait for a Black Friday sale (Zappos is where I spotted the same style in a different dye.) Gotta keep looking for the silver linings and the helpers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.