Sunday, November 21, 2021

Something for Sunday

Yesterday we celebrated Stephanie's birthday. Every year, she usually asks for a big breakfast. You know, bacon, eggs, potatoes, biscuits and gravy--the whole nine yards. Well, this year, she got the idea from Sandy to request a Thanksgiving dinner.

Since we are going to be in Disney World over Thanksgiving, Sandy planned a turkey dinner for this weekend for her family. Mitchell and Victoria came home for it. Soooo, Steph asked me to do the same. I don't mind doing a turkey dinner--actually I think it's one of the easiest meals to make. 

Here was the menu---same for every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for ages---although we usually have a couple of additional sides. This year, I didn't even double everything since we're not going to be around for the leftovers. On the menu: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberries, green bean casserole, corn pudding, carrot casserole, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. I had planned rolls, but I burned them, so they got tossed! No one missed them. 

But this post is really about what Mindy brought for us to have before dinner. It was the star attraction!
It's a charcu-turkey!! So darn cute. She said it only took about an hour to make. I just love it. That would be a really fun happy hour thing during the holidays. Hmmm, since I'm having a Christmas party this year---first in ages---I just might do it. Or maybe I'll hire Mindy to do it! Yeah, that's it.
In keeping with our regular Thanksgiving traditions, we start off with bloody Mary's and champagne. Then Butch does the football pool. I won $10 this year! And we play games. The only thing missing this year was the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. I'm not complaining, since we will be at Disney. But, they haven't started up their parades again. At least as far as we know. As Sandy says, things are changing daily!!

Speaking of Sandy, she sent me this picture. 
She wanted to show me that she was using her grandmother's silver. She always sets a beautiful table. She got that from her momma! I've always said, "that's my favorite thing to do---set the table!" I love seeing her table settings. I asked her what the foil things are. She said they are fudge covered Oreos. They make pretty table favors--don't they? She said they came from TJ Maxx. I'm going to look for them for Christmas. 

Our table favors were Chex party mix--also requested by Stephanie. Darn, I didn't think to take a picture of my table. It was very nice, but not nearly as pretty as Sandy's. The dining room is a bit of a mess--full of boxes due to the remodel. We made the best of it.

Anyway, it was a fun family day for all of us!! 

PS I took a 2 hour nap after everyone left! It really felt like Thanksgiving! Apparently all you need is the meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.