Monday, April 1, 2024

Me on Monday

Today, I'm admitting to a few things:

1. Remember when you used to dread mammograms because there were so painful---smushing your breast in a vice? Well, it's not like that anymore. Actually they are a breeze. I think they've improved the machinery--they hardly have to smush at all! But, now, something else has taken its place in the way of dreading it. I don't know about you, but I used to be able to hold my breath a really long time. I could swim on the bottom of the pool from one end to the other. Now, I don't know what the problem is. Actually, I've held my breath as I've typed this entire thing so far. But suddenly, when the technician says "take a breath and HOLD!" I can barely do it! It seems like it's 5 minutes long. She had to re-do two of the "pictures." I can't believe I have another reason to dread the dreaded mammogram! I guess I'm going to need to practice before I go the next time. Sheesh!

2. Earlier in the week (I actually thought it was the week before last--since time is flying by), I got an email from Canon thanking me for my purchase of a Cyan ink cartridge. I didn't remember making a purchase, so I went to the folder on my computer labeled "receipts." That's how I keep track of what I've ordered until I receive it. There was nothing there. Then, I checked my ink supply and saw that I do, indeed need Cyan ink. I didn't get it. Then, on Friday, I got another email form Canon thanking me for purchasing a black cartridge. Now my suspicions have been raised. I went to the Canon website and saw that these cartridges were indeed purchased by me--except I didn't order them. Now I'm pretty sure that someone has broken in to my Canon account and is ripping me off for ink! That's a new one on me as I've never heard of anyone getting ripped off for ink. Sheesh!

I called Canon and told the customer service person that someone was stealing ink from me. I told her about the emails I received. Well, first of all the email regarding the Cyan ink was just two days before rather than the week I told her. She looked at the account and said that I had signed up for automatic ink refills. I got a bit indignant. Then she verified the address---okay, that's my address, but I haven't received any ink. That's because it's just shipped. Okay, but I didn't order it. She said, "Well, we have your credit card on file." That's when it hit me. I was trying to sign up for that "print program" that they offer, where you get to print so many pages per month for a set amount--really cheap--like $4.00 a month--and the ink is free. Well, as I kept thinking about it, I realized that since I wasn't able to qualify for that program because my printer is too old, I sort of remembered signing up for auto ink refills. When my printer runs low, they send me a cartridge so I won't run out. Now, with all of this coming back to me, I'm feeling pretty foolish. So, I just told the woman, "Look, I'm old and I've been told to watch out for people trying to scam old people. I thought I might be the first senior being scammed for ink!" She laughed and wished me a great Easter weekend. Sheesh!

3. When I was in Chicago with Morgan, we stayed at The Drake Hotel---a Hilton property. One evening when we returned, I went to guest services for something. The gal thanked me for being a loyal Hilton Honors member. Then she said as such, that she had an offer for me. For $408, I could have a 3 night, 4 day stay at any of their "Grand Vacation" properties. In addition, I got 100,000 points. AND, I would get another 50,000 points if I made my reservations within 8 weeks. Plus, I have 18 months to take the vacation. Since it was cheaper than what I had paid for just two nights at The Drake, I jumped at it. I figured even if I just came back to Chicago to visit Morgan, it was a good deal. 

I told Butch all about it. Well, since it's been 6 weeks since I was in Chicago, I'm starting to worry about not getting my extra 50,000 pointes. Butch said he'd like to go to Scottsdale, AZ to the Mechum Auction (cars). That's been a dream of his for years--to go and bid on a car. The dates for January, 2025 have not been posted yet. He contacted Mechum, but they said they didn't have the dates set yet. Butch picked a week that would normally be the auction. I called to make the reservations. The woman I talked to said that we could not book until 8 months out. I asked her how I was supposed to get my bonus 50,000 points then. She checked my account and said that there wasn't anything in the file about that. 

Now I'm starting to think I've been scammed---again! Why is it I immediately think I've been scammed--every time I turn around these days? That's when I read the brochure I was given. Turns out, I might just have scammed myself! Oh yeah, we get that good deal at any of the Hilton Grand Vacation properties, but we have to listen to a presentation about---get this---TIME SHARES! Seriously, do they really want to sell to the 70+ age bracket! Sheesh! 

Okay, that's enough for today!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.