Sunday, April 28, 2024

Something for Sunday

Back when we were first starting out, there was no such thing as Goodwill stores. Actually, I guess I don't really know if that's true. I do think Goodwill picked up stuff, but I don't know what happened to it after that. It seemed like we mostly gave away clothes. Anyway, we didn't have much at the beginning--borrowed bed, random furniture from people's basements, two snack tables from Target put together as a coffee table, bricks and shelves for a book case and a card table and chairs for our kitchen set. 

We eventually bought some used furniture at a furniture rental place. They sold what they could no longer rent out. Sort of the original "scratch and dent" sale. We bought some living room tables. There were a couple of gouges and lots of scratches on them. Butch used some wood caulk and stain and fixed them right up. Those tables served us well for many years.

We bought furniture at garage sales and re-finished it. Over the years, we have given away or sold lots of furniture. My favorite story is about our bedroom set. We bought the entire set for $300 and sold it ten years later for $400. No matter how cheap our stuff was, we took good care of it. 

Funny, once we had more expensive furniture, we gave it away--family, friends, Refugee Resettlement or Re-New (setting up houses for abused women through the YWCA). We didn't need the money, so I felt like giving it to a good cause was more important. Now, I wouldn't mind having another crack at that furniture. I cannot believe how creative people are with old furniture. I have collected many pictures to share with you. Today, I'm focusing on china cabinets.


Amazing what a little paint can do. How perfect is this in the kitchen?

To make a kitchen sink out of this one is brilliant! This looks like it took a lot of work to cut the center piece and drawers to allow for the plumbing works. But I love the result. Not loving that tile though.

And this--two pieces of new/old furniture from one cabinet. I remember long ago--reading that to give new life to furniture you just had to paint it either black or white. I think the key is to just paint it--any color and it looks new and fresh. It took me a second to read the word on the upper piece. I thought it was "behind" and couldn't figure out what that meant. I'm telling you, if I was "behind" I don't think I'd be broadcasting it. Then I realized it's "be kind!" Okay, that's nice. 

Turning this one in to a bathroom vanity was a great idea. Some of these definitely seem more involved. Had this been mine, I would have decorated it before posting the after picture.

Although I wouldn't have a place for this in my kitchen, it's a great idea. I have seen many new homes that have a coffee station near the master bedroom---ooops---sorry---main bedroom. They are all the rage now--or at least--were. I'm not really up on the current trends.

And then this one. Oh wait, that's ours! I can't believe it's already been 6 years since our kitchen remodel. We turned this 1980's style kitchen desk area INTO a china cabinet!!
Christy---you know her---my miracle worker---came up with the idea of raising the desk turned cabinets off the floor so it wasn't low like a desk, but rather the level of a cabinet. I didn't even know you could do that. It was my idea to add the shiplap, all glass doors and paint it blue. Side note: we added the two glass doors to the original years ago. This is one of our favorite projects. Of course, we didn't do it. We had Christy's peeps for that.

I do love re-cycling and re-purposing. I just don't want to be the one to do it. 

I'd love for you to send me some before and after pictures. I would happily share them for all to enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.