Tuesday, April 2, 2024

March By the Numbers

Well, it's been a weird kind of a month. We were only out of town one long weekend--when we took the grandkids skiing--I guess I should start saying adults--since the skiers are all 28+ years old. 

Then, the girls--Sandy, Stephanie, Mindy and I went to New York for a long weekend. That was it for traveling. Which means, I had a lot of time at home. Which means, I accomplished a lot of stuff! 

Here's how it shakes out by the numbers:

Books read—I'm not even going to mention the number because it's the most books I've ever read in a month in my life. I don't want to sound "braggy." Many of them were 5-star. Here are my favorites:


    The Dinner by Herman Koch--two brothers and their wives are having dinner to discuss the unpleasant antics of their sons. That's all I'm going to say.

    They Both Die at the End by Adam Silver--a company called Death-Cast calls people at midnight on the day they are going to die. This is so interesting in all the intricacies of how we connect with each other. After this book---I discovered that there is a prequel which I had to read:

    The First to Die at the End--tells the story of Death-Cast and the very first person called. 


Audio books--these account for many extra books this month--all read by the author. Here were the best:

    Counting the Cost by Jill Dugger--I really didn't know anything about the Duggers. One of the girls (I think it was Sandy) recommended it. I really enjoyed it.

    Being Henry by Henry Winkler--I was a huge Happy Days fan, not necessarily because of Henry Winkler, but I did like him. 

    Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finley--This is the most unbelievable story of how twenty year old Christopher Knight walked in to the woods with just the clothes on his back and lived for 27 years. Michael Finley interviewed him, wrote the book and then read it. 

    

You know, we each only have so much free time. So, the reason I had so much time for reading/listening to books this month was because of this:

Scrapbooking--I finished 22 double-page spreads this month--that's approximately 66 hours of scrapbooking--lots of time for audio books. 

Walking--I didn't keep track of how much I walked.

Less tv watching--I didn't keep track of that either but way less than usual.

NO stitching--nope, not a single stitch--well unless you count what I did on a few scrapbook pages.

Podcasts--I only listened to about 4 shows this month--I usually listen to them when I walk, but not this month. So that means I'm way behind. 


Movies seen: 7---several not worth seeing, but since my friends and I have Regal Unlimited, we'll try anything. The best this month were (all 5 stars):

    Ordinary Angels

    Cabrini

    King Arthur--even if it's about a dog, it was a great true story.

    In the Land of Saints and Sinners


Streaming Services:

    PBS--Fly with Me--documentary about the start of airline stewardesses--excellent.

    Netflix--Heroin(e)--documentary about three women in West Virginia who are fighting the opioid epidemic. 

        Maestro--Bradley Cooper playing Leonard Bernstein--I didn't really like it.


That's it for anything extra in the way of tv this month. Butch and I are just about caught up on our regular shows. We like reality tv: Amazing Race, Shark Tank, and Survivor. We are watching Deal or No Deal Island because Boston Rob is on it. Once he gets kicked off, we'll probably quit that one. 


Lunches out--15--what can I say, I have a lot of friends!

Dinners out--3--don't need to go to dinner when I've been out to lunch!


It's been a productive month for me, but there's something unsettling about it. I have this feeling like I've wasted a lot of time on frivolous stuff. I think there are more important things I should be doing, but not sure what they are. I'm pretty sure Connie is getting ready to pull me in to a big project soon! Then I won't have much free time---plus, I'm going to the beach next week with my friends. When we get back the following week, I'll have a few days before our Tulip cruise starting in Amsterdam with Stephanie and Nicky. I'm looking forward to that.


What great books have you read this month? What about movies and documentaries? I'll keep adding to my never-ending list!!






    

    











Broadway Shows—5


1 comment:

  1. That is an impressive list! Time spent on frivolous things that you enjoy doing is never wasted! The 'important' things can wait!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.