Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...Christmas trees. I LOVE 'EM! Any type, shape or size. We've had many types of trees over the years. 

We always had the traditional Frasier fir---they smell the best and were adorned with all of our family ornaments. Then, we added an artificial tree in the living room which became my tree. Through the years I've decorated it many ways: Victorian, white and silver, gold--just whatever I felt like. Then I got our current artificial flocked tree. The very first year, I realized that the ornaments didn't show up very well. That's when I switched to red. I've never gotten tired of the red.

I just love any Christmas trees during the holidays. I especially like it when someone invites me over for a glass of champagne or wine and to look at their tree. Actually, that hasn't happened in probably 20 years!!! Hint hint!

I'll start with a few trees from my childhood. The quality of the pictures are terrible, but it's what I have:
I can't tell you much about this picture. I think I was about 3 or 4 sitting on Grandpa Preli's lap. Believe it or not, he's only about 55 in this picture. My grandparents always seemed to look really old. Their looks never changed no matter what age they were--at least to me.

Now this is a pretty pitiful tree. But look at all the tinsel! I was either 5 or 6.

I think I'm about 12 in this picture. I'm basing it on the fact that Jeanne is 5 years younger than me. She looks like she's younger than 7, but I think the rest of us are more in line with 12, 11 (Ronnie) and 10 (twins).

Now on to 2023. I asked the family to send me pictures of their Christmas trees. I was really happy that they all responded! Thank goodness for our phones and the ease of taking and sending pictures.

First up is ours. When Covid hit in 2020, we didn't get a real tree. Instead, we moved the flocked tree to the family room. I can't tell you how much I love it here where I can see it constantly. And, I've never grown tired of the red. 

I can't say that I miss the real tree as I have candles that give me the smell without the fuss. I've already shared a good picture of our tree but decided to send this angle instead. 

I wanted to get my 2023 poinsettia from Nicky in the picture!

This is Sandy's tree. It's real and perfect! They have many trees in their house: Sandy has her childhood tree in their bedroom.
I think I've already posted a picture of it. She has the tree skirt that my mother made back in the 1970's. She made something for all of us girls just about every year. Sandy also has a tree on their porch. If it's not too cold when we go this weekend, we'll sit out there so I can stare at it. I love sitting in front of a fire with a Christmas beverage and just look at the tree. 

This is Stephanie's tree--also real. Her packages all look so pretty. I guess their cat is leaving them alone this year. Oh, and that tree skirt---I made that when I was doing a lot of quilting in the 1980's when we lived in Kansas City. I really love that all of the girls have things from their childhood besides ornaments. 

Mindy's tree is full of family ornaments as well as celebrity ornaments like Mariah Carey--the star on top and Tom Brady. Justin's mom sent him some of his childhood ones too. I especially love seeing lots of ornaments on a tree.

This is Jordan's tree all the way from L.A. I'm glad she sent a picture since I never get to see it in person. Looks like she has her presents all wrapped too. Apparently her little dog and cat don't bother them. 

This one belongs to Morgan. I'm pretty sure she can't put her presents under the tree with the dogs. They are very well behaved, but presents just might be too much to handle. All it takes in one to start it and the others will want to get in on the fun! I'll have to ask her about that. 

Mitchell's tree. When he sent the picture, he said that he mostly has food ornaments. I can easily see a pretzel, bagel and donut!

Lastly is Elizabeth's. As you can see, she decorates her whole room--at least with lights. That giant "elf on the shelf" is adorable--riding Rudolph.

So that's it for our family trees. Send me a picture of yours and I'll be happy to post it!

1 comment:

  1. What lovely trees! So nice to see how different the decorations are on everyones. Funny how fashions change, even with Christmas trees!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.