Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Charles Dickens

So, I had my party yesterday to celebrate the 180th anniversary of Charles Dickens book. There were 7 of us. What better way to celebrate than with my book club?. I served Ho Ho punch (with a little vodka) or Ho Hum punch (without). A few people felt like it tasted like fruit tea. I'll be adding simple syrup the next time. I thought it was a little tart.

We had a few pick-up foods: mushroom crustades, cream cheese and pepper jelly and spinach dip. For sweets, I had chocolates, peanut butter oatmeal cookies (my grandmother's recipe) and an almond Kringle from Trader Joe's. That was delicious---Sandy told me about it. They were out of the cute and tasty gingerbread cookies.

I had everyone pay attention to my tablescape:
I pulled together whatever I thought worked. I had 3 books by Charles Dickens, but only the Muppet one is specifically "A Christmas Carol." The green book is a collection of stories which includes "A Christmas Carol." The leather bound one in the back is "A Tale of Two Cities"--the only Dickens book I've actually read.

The picture and mug are souvenirs I bought at the CD museum in London. 

We had a fun time just chatting and catching up. We toasted Charles and our book club. And, to good health in 2024! That's all everyone could wish for!

Today, I'll be meeting my grandson, Mitchell for tea (coffee for him). Then later, I'll be meeting a friend for lunch. It's a busy time of year, yet so much fun! But not exactly good for my health routine! Come Tuesday a week from now, it's going to be all over and I'll be back on track with my exercise and eating habits! 

Everyone starts the New Year with all of those resolutions. I'm planning to get a head start. 

1 comment:

  1. That's the second time I've heard about Kringle today - I need to investigate! I'm wondering if you can buy it/them in the UK. Sounds like you planned a fun afternoon with a great theme for a book club meeting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.