Sunday, December 31, 2023

December Re-Cap

Before I get started, I have to say, the stars are out tonight!!! There are probably a dozen honky Tonks downtown owned by stars. They are all here performing in their own places. They have a thing called a "fast pass" that you can buy and go to them all. Seriously, I can't imagine that that would be fun. It's so darn crowded that I think you would be fighting to get in anywhere. I have to say, I do love watching Nashville's NYE bash. It's so exciting with so many stars. Leonard Skynnard closed it out tonight for the last 45 minutes. So good. I always liked watching the ball drop in NYC, but I hardly knew any of the performers there. After all, I am another year older!

Okay, let's get on with it.

I read nine books this month. One of those was Lennie Kravitz that I listened to because it was read by him. I didn't really know anything about him. His mother was the neighbor on The Jeffersons married to a white guy--exactly her real life too. I really enjoyed the book, but I only gave it 4 stars. Good, but I wouldn't say you need to rush out and get it unless you are a Lennie Kravitz fan. I didn't really know anything about his music. He was married to Lisa Bonnet from The Cosby Show.

Five-Star Books:
The Paris Apartment

This was a book club book and so good! It's about a young adult in the 1960's who inherits an apartment in Paris from her aunt. The story goes back and forth in time---I love books like this. It went back to WWII and the resistance. A surprise ending that I wouldn't have imagined! Excellent.

The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley
When I was looking up the author of the book above, this one popped up. Since I love Lucy Foley for her intricate plots and twists and turns, I added it to my list. It did not disappoint! This book is about...well, I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't give something away. Okay, it's about a girl who goes to Paris to stay with her brother in his apartment. When she gets there, he isn't. That's all I'm gonna say. Lucy does not disappoint. This is the first time in my history of reading where I've read a book with the same title one after the other. Now that I say it, I think it might be the only time I've read a book with the same title. 

The Lions of Fifth Avenue
This was another really good book. It, too goes bakc and forth in time. It's about a woman who works in the library that her grandparents lived in decades earlier. It's a great story of rare books and a theft. As it turns out, I already read it in March of 2017. That's one of the things I like about reading on a Kindle---Amazon keeps tracks of your books. I didn't remember enough of it, so I read it again. Very good.

The Secret Life of Violet Grant
Now this one---I'm a little confused because I think this is another book club book. But, we only read two books as we meet every other month. So I'm not so sure. Connie and I have discussed it, so maybe we both just read it. Anyway, it's another back and forth. This one I am confusing with The Paris Apartment as the stories are set in the same time period---WWII. In this book the protagonist is a code-breaker who is adept with languages. She is recruited for a more important role. This one also has an ending I didn't see coming.

So that's it---out of 9, only 4 were 5 star books this month.

So, I read 93 books total for the year with 50 of them being 5-stars. Not bad. I'd probably like higher than 50%, But I'll take it!!

Now on to movies. I saw four: Napoleon, Aquaman, Wonka, and The Color Purple. These were good, but only The Color Purple ranks 5 stars in my. book.
First of all, I didn't know it was a musical. It was fabulous! I immediately called the girls and told they that they needed to see it while at Sandy's this past weekend. Then, I told them I wanted to see it on stage in New York when we go in March. Turns out, it's not on Broadway anymore. That's too bad. Of course, I read the book years ago and saw the movie with Oprah. But this--omgosh--it was so good. I cried, I laughed and clapped out loud (I know, you really can't clap any other way)!! I saw a lot of great movies this year and this one ranks up in the top 5 for sure!

In total, I saw 46 movies this year! I only need to see 12 to break even on my Regal Unlimited subscription! 

One last thing for December. I watched 16 Christmas movies this year. I was determined to watch more since last year, I didn't watch a single one! The best were: The Man Who Invented Christmas (which prompted my Dickens party), A Muppet Christmas Carol (probably my all time favorite) and Spirited (another version/musical of The Christmas Carol with Ryan Reynolds--what's not to love). I guess it's no surprise, given my love of all things British that A Christmas Carol would be my all time favorite---all the way back to the very first one I saw with Mr. MaGoo! We watched that every year from the time it came out in 1962.

Okay, I guess that's a wrap for 2023!!

Hello 2024! I'm ready for you! 



1 comment:

  1. I've read and enjoyed a few of these books too! I like to see other people's recommendations to get ideas for my 'to be read' list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.