Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Travel Tuesday

Greeting from the Big Apple! We're here on our sisters trip--with just a couple sisters.
It was an early flight, but unlike my trip from hell a couple weeks ago, this one was actually nice. There were only 47 people on the plane. Not only did I have a full row to myself, there was no one in the row in front of me or in back of me. Total peace. I actually was able to put my seat back. I never do that if someone is sitting behind me--which is always! I slept nearly the whole way. Added bonus, beautiful sunrise.
Apparently, January is the best time to go to New York. Maybe even a little eerie. The streets are not as crowded as usual. We walked right in the Stardust Diner. Usually, there's a line around the block. It's my favorite way to start our trip. With all the singing and dancing, you really feel like you are on Broadway. It gets me in the mood! There are so many talented people who work there--just waiting for their shot.

This was Sharon's first time. So we strolled 5th Avenue, stopped in St. Patrick's Cathedral, went to Rockefeller Plaza and watched the skaters, browsed the Kate Spade store, went in the M&M store, stopped at Carlos Bakery (Janet's pick--something to do with the Cake Boss show--I'm not familiar with that), a quick stop at Starbucks and then back to the hotel for a rest. 

Dinner was at Carmine's where we ordered a salad and spaghetti and meatballs. It was easily food for 6. We need to remember that when ALL of us girls (my girls and granddaughters) come in June. I always forget how much food it is. The prices are pretty darn good too--with drinks (non-alcoholic), tax and tip, it was $35. Pretty darn cheap for NYC!

We walked around Times Square so Sharon could experience the brilliance of the lights. The weather was perfect--about 48 degrees. In fact, I was too hot in my coat, but it's the only one I brought. 

Our step total for the day was 15,446 for a total of 6.5 miles. Not bad for a first day!

Today, we're going to The Edge! I've never done that and am excited. If you are afraid of heights, it's not for you. We'll be standing on a glass platform 100 stories above the street. I am not afraid of heights. At least I don't think I am. We'll see today!

Oh, and what's up with the picture above? It looks like I don't have any lips. I need to remember to re-apply my lipstick once in awhile. I tend to only do it when I put on my makeup in the morning. 

PS Happy "heavenly birthday" (I hate that term, but "it is what it is"--some people hate that term!), to my brother, Ronnie who would have been 70 today. Or maybe it was yesterday. After 50 years of his birthday being on the 31st, he insisted that mom made a mistake--his birthday was actually the 30th. I never bought it. 




1 comment:

  1. It looks like you gals are having fun. I am totally shocked about the emptiness of that airplane though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.