Sunday, January 22, 2023

Something for Sunday

How early is too early to text? 


I think we all have personal rules for how early or late we might call someone—usually differing from person to person. I don't call anyone before 8 a.m. Actually, who am I kidding? I don't call anyone! Well, maybe my sisters now and then--but never before 10:00. And I can call my cousin, but I don't do that before 8.


It seems to me that emailing is wide open. You can email someone at 3 a.m. without actually disturbing them. They’ll get your email at their own convenience. 


But what about texting? Does the same hold true? Is it okay to text very early or very late? I would think it’s okay, but then I guess it depends on whether most people sleep with their phone by their bed. And whether they have the sound turned on or not. It presents a quandary. 


This morning, I got a text from Morgan at 4 a.m. She had already Venmoed me at 3 a.m. I got the "cha-ching" alert. I was up--or I should say--awake, but still in bed. When I got the text, we had a little text conversation. That was nice.


So, I've decided to set a few rules for myself regarding texting. If I'm texting the "grands" I think anytime is acceptable. After all, their world runs on texting. But then again, there seem to be some exceptions---Jordan is two hours earlier than we are. Maybe I shouldn't just text her "willy-nilly." Heck, I think I'm just not going to text anyone before 6 a.m. or after 10 p.m. 


I'll have to make an exception for all of my "old folks" friends. I probably shouldn't text them after 8 p.m. or before 8 a.m. Now I've gotten myself so confused. I guess I'll figure it out case by case and decide. Way too much thinking this early in the morning!!


1 comment:

  1. My rule is, if I would not call, I will not text. I am finding the younger generation is slow to check email, so I prefer to text them instead of email if possible. I have been known to send emails in the wee hours though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.