Saturday, February 4, 2023

Something for Saturday

Hey All! I'm back again---at least until we leave for our ski trip with the grands later this week. Since I don't ski anymore, I'm the chauffeur, chief cook, and bottle washer! I use my free time to plan future trips! I'll be devoting all my free time to planning our book club trip to England in September. I have my work cut out for me! 6 of us are going and meeting up with our 2 members who live in Nottingham. Too many things to do and see! I've got to start narrowing it down.

But, for now, here are a few pictures from New York. Janet, Sharon and I went---mainly because I wanted to see Phantom of the Opera one last time before it closes. 

We lucked out with the weather. The coldest it got was 31. It wasn't windy, plus when you are walking a lot, you warm right up. Janet was so bundled up you would have thought we were in Quebec City---OR---St. Louis!! 

We started at the Stardust diner. 
There's nothing that gets you in the mood for the fun of Broadway--plus the food is good too. This was Sharon's first trip to New York. I love taking someone for the first time. It makes me see it all through their eyes again.
That platform jutting out from that building is called "The Edge." This was my first time. If you look closely, you can see that tiny clear part. It's really much larger than it looks.
Here I am, 100 floors up on that clear glass looking straight down. It was an awesome experience. You can see for miles around. The Empire State Building is iconic--no doubt, but The Edge was more fun IMO. They both cost about the same--$41.00.
After the edge, the plan was to walk to Macy's. Wouldn't you know it, we were held up by President Biden. We did actually see him waving in the presidential limo.
After backtracking and winding this way and that, we finally ended up in the subway and walked under the intersections so we could get beyond the barriers. We finally made it!!

We stopped at Carlos Bakery---this was new to me, but will be added to my list for every time I'm in New York. Janet knew about it from the show The Cake Boss. I never watched that. If you go, get the lobster tail. It's basically a cream puff but it looks like a lobster tail---so good! I can't believe I don't have a picture!

The reason we came--and it didn't disappoint. 
We stopped at Junior's for a post-show slice of cheesecake.
Brunch at Marseille---one of my favorite places---off the beaten path. The French onion soup--OMGosh! Plus it has a cloth tablecloth--albeit under paper, but it still counts! I love a fancy place.
Since I'm the theater geek, I wanted to make sure that Sharon and Janet would enjoy their experience. There's none better than the high energy of MJ. We all loved it--me for the second time. You can bet there will be a 3rd and more!

We did so much in 2 and a half days. We walked 15.3 miles. We browsed 5th Ave., Rockefeller Plaza, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Times Square--we hit it all. Our only disappointment was Rolf's. 
I've been wanting to go to this German restaurant ever since Sandy found out about it. We've tried, but could never get anyone to answer the phone--which is the only way to make reservations. It's decorated for Christmas---so elaborately---all year round. If I ever go back, it would be just to let the girls see it and maybe have a very expensive drink (all drinks in NYC are expensive---at least $22 for anything). Anyway, I was looking forward to some good German food. This wasn't it. We shared the viener schnitzel---it was tough. The German potato salad wasn't what I expected at all. The red cabbage and spaetzle were very good. Still, it wasn't worth the cost. 

Really, I'm not complaining. We had a fabulous trip. One disappointment doesn't ruin a whole trip!! I love, love, love New York and can't wait to go back. We have a girls trip---besides my girls, we're taking the granddaughters--in June. I'm excited because Sandy and Stephanie are planning this one. I can't wait to see what they come up with. I told them it had to include Carlos!! You can even go there after a show---it's open until 11:30 p.m. If you get a chance, check it out!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.