Wednesday, January 25, 2023

What I buy Wednesday

Today, I'm recounting what I bought in Egypt. Keep in mind, I had no intention of buying anything. Anything Egyptian is not exactly my style. Plus, I don't need anything. Just goes to show, you can pretty much bet, I'll find something I can't live without!! And I did.
Let's start at the top and go clockwise around. Scarves--so many! I bought 3 of these--one for each of the girls. I think they will look cute wrapped around their waist over a swimsuit. A little boy was selling them for $5.00 apiece. 

The plastic container contains lemon tea. I had no intention of buying tea---I'm a tea snob, you know, and prefer English tea. But this one smelled so good and is supposed to make you feel better if you are sick. I had it last week. It did make me feel better, but actually, any tea makes me feel better when I'm sick! 

Another scarf--this one is square with tassels on the corners. I liked that it reminded me of the African blankets we bought in September. Plus, believe it or not, I don't have this shade of blue.

We always like to pick up an ornament when we travel. We have so many that several years ago, I decided we wouldn't do that anymore. I just couldn't quit in the long run. I do regret not having ornaments from a few trips--which I can't even remember at the moment.

Those alabaster trays---we went to an alabaster shop. The demonstration was so interesting. But, everything in the shop was so expensive that I didn't buy anything. Instead, I bought these in one of the markets. The turquoise ones are going to the beach. Lately, we've been picking up little things for the condo from our travels--like a hand-painted fish from Rivello, Italy on the Amalfi coast. Or, the conch shell from Key West. These pretty trays will be a nice addition. The little one will go on the nightstand for people (me) to put their jewelry in. The cream one will go in our guest room here at home.

Sterling silver Kartush bracelet. I came home only knowing two words from Egypt. Kartush is the name for all of the ovals you see in hieroglyphics. Each one represents the name of a king or queen. Only kings or queens can have a kartush. This queen got her own with her name in hieroglyphics. Oh, and the other word I learned--Rameses II--apparently he was the most important king. I don't remember what he did or anything else about him.

And then, for the big splurge---although not nearly as big as Steph's splurge! 

We went to a carpet-making demonstration. Butch and I went to our first demonstration in Istanbul, Turkey. I had every intention of buying a rug. But my sister, Jeanne warned me to NOT buy there, but wait until we went to the market. Well, the day we were to go to the market, I went for tea first at some palace. Cutting to the chase, it ended up being so late, that I missed my opportunity to go to the market. 

That leads to Egypt. I didn't intend to buy a carpet, but fell in love with the process and unique-ness of these rugs. The "makers" (many of whom are kids learning the trade) are unbelievable at how fast they can go. This is the one I ordered--4x6--still, despite how fast it looks, it's going to take 3 months to make.
I bought it for the front door. I have to admit, I'm sort of nervous about that--you know how I'm obsessing about my white carpet. But then, I reminded myself that I had my needlepoint rug at the front door for 20 years and it was just fine. I'm just not going to obsess about it. I want to enjoy it--that's why I bought it. Oh, and to justify the splurge, I told Butch that it could be his birthday present to me!!! As if I need an excuse!

Now for Stephanie and Nicky's big splurge. They are doing a remodeling project of their master bath and redecorating their master bedroom. Steph decided on a big rug--8x10 for her bedroom. 

Then, I said, "You know, why would you have the most expensive rug you own in your bedroom? Kinda like the beautiful Austrian chandelier that I ended up moving from my master bath to the dining room--so everyone could enjoy it!" So, they are going to put it in their living room. Her rug arrived yesterday, so I can't wait to see it.

As it turned out, I came home with quite a few "souvenirs" but I love them!





1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.