Thursday, January 5, 2023

Five Things Thursday

I'm a little late today with this post and here's why. I decided to make this post about traveling and getting ready. Here's how I approach every trip:

1. We're leaving today for our trip and river cruise to Egypt. Butch has been asking me when I'm going to pack. You would think that after all these years, he knows, I do not pack until I'm getting ready to leave the house. That way, I don't usually forget anything. For example:
    A. I take off my nightgown to get in the shower--grab two fresh ones to pack.
    B. While in the shower, I remember to check my shampoo and conditioner. It's unlikely that I wouldn't have it in my already packed (that just stays packed) "ditty" bag. Plus, if I'm out of something, I usually replace it when I get home.
    C. Next I put on underwear--grab however many I need and add it to the pile. Same with bras and so on. 
    D. Blow dry my hair--pack my blow brush (most hotels have a hair dryer these days).
    E. Then on to clothes. As I choose each outfit, I consider the footwear and jewelry to go with it. I think you get the idea. 

2. I use packing cubes--you know, those lightweight organizers for everything. I love them. They hold so much. Whether you are an "unpacker" or "live out of my suitcase" like me, these cubes are the way to go. Everything stays nice and organized and doesn't slide all around the suitcase. I've had a set for years. When we went to Quebec City a few weeks ago, I was distressed to realize that I had lost one. That means I left it behind when we were in Savannah. Not sure how that happened. It was a small one that would have contained socks/footies, underwear, and bras.  I checked my bras and had all of them. If I lost a few footies or underwear, no big deal--I have dozens. But what distressed me was losing the bag. 

Fast forward to today. I go to get my organizers and realize I've lost another one!! I couldn't believe it. But then on the way to the airport, I was trying to figure out how I could possibly have lost one. Then I realized that I was thinking about the packing cubes I bought for my friends and family this year for Christmas. Those came with a 4th bag. Mine was only a 3 pack, to begin with! Whew! I don't generally lose things. 

In fact, while traveling with friends, I have one, who shall remain nameless (okay, Karolyn) who I have to keep track of--and her stuff! She's been known to lose or forget stuff. But last February took the cake. We were going on our scrapbook retreat. When we got there, she realized that she had ALL her scrapbooking stuff, but had forgotten her suitcase!!! Lucky for her, we were able to scrounge together things for her to wear. Plus on this particular retreat, we weren't going anywhere. But thank god she had all her scrapbooking stuff! Anyway, I have to keep my eye on her!

3. Back to the packing. It took me exactly 1.25 hours to shower, do my hair, and makeup, and all my packing. That's why I don't need to pack in advance. I just know how long it will take me to get ready--only an hour if it's just a long weekend. Going to the beach takes even less.

4. Another thing I want to share that isn't exactly trip related, but more of an everyday necessity for me. I do not like the feel of bare feet in my shoes. So, I always wear "footies" or socks (if I'm wearing tennis shoes which is not very often). I have discovered the BEST footies ever made. 
They come in a 3-pack for $12.00. I bought them at the Sperry's store at the beach. They absolutely do not fall off or bunch up in your shoes. They are super thin so there's no bulk to deal with. Plus with them being flesh-colored, you don't even notice them. I can't live without them now.

5. Traveling lately has been really stressful due to getting to the airport and flight delays. This time, I told Butch that I was going to handle the plans for getting us to and from. So what if we got to the airport 2 hours early!! That's how I had the time to do this post!! So there!

As we were going through TSA, Butch said, "See, how nice and relaxing this is? I told you we just needed to leave earlier!" Ha! Yeah, right, he's the one! Being early is just how I roll!

Oh, but there might be one little fly in the ointment. I'm wearing a white sweatshirt--for the first time. Most likely it will be the last time for it. I ruin white tops faster than anybody! Well, except for maybe Connie! The next time I'm at her house, I'm going to look in her closet and see how many white tops she has. Everyone needs a white shirt (ahem---FAMILY---how can you not own white tops?). 

Anyway, my friends and I were discussing clothes yesterday. I don't recall how the "white top"  subject came up, but Connie wins the prize for ruining the most. I'll never forget her spilled coke on our way TO vacation. She had to wear that sloppy looking mess of a thing ALL day!! Plus, then she was one top down for another outfit! She's a good sport so she won't mind that I'm making fun of her. She knows that for me, poking fun is a term of endearment! I only kid around with the people I love!

All right, so here's my "accident waiting to happen":
At least I have a pashmina to cover up with if I need it. So far so good. I had peanut butter and jelly for breakfast and managed to NOT drip any jelly on me! One eating event down. All I have to do is make it through the day because I brought two more white tops with me!!

I'll keep you posted!

    

2 comments:

  1. Aren't packing cubes just the best idea? So easy to unpack once you get to where you are staying - they make things so much neater in the case too. I don't have any pure white shirts or dresses or trousers - are you shocked? I just know that something would happen and I'd end up wearing something I had eaten or drunk as they day went on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used packing cubes, but may give it a try for longer trips. I do use several small see through zip bags for medicines/first aid items, scarves, and one for trip ephemera that we collect along the way. And I do layer our outfits between plastic dry cleaning bags and that helps with wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.