Wednesday, January 4, 2023

What I Buy Wednesday

Actually, I bought a package of felt a couple months ago. I saw these felt journaling pockets on a page that Ali Edwards did. I decided that I wanted to make some. The only problem is that I'm not really a "sewer"--as in so-er--NOT sue-er!

However, I do have a sewing machine I bought for scrapbooking--probably 12 years ago or so. I don't use it often enough to even know how to thread it. On New Year's Eve, I spent 45 minutes trying to thread it before I gave up. I texted my friend, Karolyn, and asked for help. She's a master "sewer"--so-er--NOT--sue-er! She said that she needed an organization consult from me--so we made a date.

She came over yesterday and got me up and running in about 5 minutes. I need to use the machine more often so I'll remember it. 

Anyway, then we went to her house. She showed me her butler's pantry which needed organizing and her closet. We had about an hour before our lunch date with friends, so I suggested that we get started. I wish I'd taken a "before" picture of the panty, but we finished it in an hour. Here's the "after."
Everything she uses regularly is easily accessible without having to move anything out of the way to get to it. The things she doesn't use very often are on the top shelf and floor. Still easy enough to get to when you need it. I convinced her to try my "box rule." Put everything you haven't used in the last year in a box. Date it and put it in the garage for a year. If next January, you haven't needed anything out of the box, just haul it away. 

I have another rule about organizing--"If in doubt, throw it out!" Meaning, you don't have to think about the things you need, use or want. Those things jump out at you. If you have to think about it, you can let it go. I "invented" this phrase when I started my organizing business years ago. At that time, I meant it for paper---if you have to think about whether a paper is important, you don't need to keep it. Obviously, a passport or birth certificate is a no-brainer. But do you need to keep your electric bills---NO! 

Okay, off the soapbox now. 

When I got home, I tackled my project.
The first ones didn't turn out so well. I'd never sewn in a circle before. I've only sewn in straight lines. But, I finally got the hang of it.
I should have practiced on some of the red ones. But there are way more than I need, so I'll share some when we go on our scrapbook retreat in February. I'm planning an entire Christmas album. We will journal in a circle and punch them out to tuck into these cute pockets! They are not as perfect as Ali's, but I'm pretty happy with them!

Oh the things I do for scrapbooking!!


2 comments:

  1. Great that you and your friend were able to do a skills swap to your mutual advantage! Adding a journaling card into your little circle pockets sounds like such a creative idea ... Sending very best wishes for good things for you in this New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my MIL's sewing machine, which I used once to hem pajamas for her. I had to respectfully decline when my sister asked me to add edging to a baby quilt of her, as my skills were not up to it. I have yet to try paper. Maybe 2023 is my year, as I have been known to do new things just for the sake of scrapbooking as well.

    PS I need you to come organize my "basket" closet, but I am afraid you'd impose that use it or lose rule.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.