Sunday, September 19, 2021

I Love Surprises!

Yes, I do love surprises! And Butch is really good at surprising me.

You might recall that I consider myself a bit of a tea snob. Recently, my supply has been running low. 

I buy tea whenever I'm in London. One of my favorite things is to have tea--just about anywhere I can find it. In England, that means everywhere! Tea is not just "tea!" It's an event! I've had tea in Bath, the Cotswolds, Nottingham, London and many other places that I've forgotten the names of. In London, I always go to Twinings on the Strand to buy tea. I look forward to it--just to visit the original location--hundreds of years old--I always buy several varieties. 

A couple years ago, when I was in London with several members of our book club, we discovered Fortnum and Mason. OMGosh! That's become my most favorite place to have tea. I stocked up while I was there and again when Butch and I went in 2019. It's always loose tea, no bags (or sachets) for me!! That's where the "snob" part comes in. I start my day with fresh brewed tea! Usually, Butch makes it for me. He knows just how I like it! Sometimes if I'm reading in bed first thing, he brings it in to me. What a way to start the day!

I am on the email list for Fortnum and Mason and enjoy their tea posts. I decided that I was going to order. Then, when I got to the check out part of the transaction, I noticed that the postage was $28.00! I get it--international and all. But, I just couldn't justify it. Especially since I do have a favorite American tea maker--Harney and Sons. They supply the tea for The Plaza Hotel in New York--another one of my favorite places to have tea (along with the Drake Hotel in Chicago).

Anyway, I didn't order the tea and really didn't give it another thought. Imagine my surprise when I came home to this:
Earl Grey Classic from Fortnum and Mason!! What?? I was a little confused. I thought, surely Butch wouldn't pay that shipping cost. Turns out, he decided to "Google" Fortnum and Mason to find out where it was sold in the US. Now why didn't I think of that? It never occurred to me that I could get it here. He said that William Sonoma has a whole display with many varieties. Of course I'll be stocking up. 

It's nice to know that I have a place to get it. I can also get Twinings, but just basic varieties. Still, I prefer to get it in London. There's just something so special about that. Besides, what better excuse to get over there asap?? My book club wants to go again too. Butch loves England as much as I do, so surely I'll get there one way or the other sometime in 2022. At least I hope so. Plus I need to stock up on my other passion---Sipsmith Lemon Gin--which I can only get in England!

I was so happy for my tea surprise! Oh, and I must mention, Butch had another surprise for me. He made the bed!! He never does that. I guess since I was gone all week, he must have missed me! 

I'm telling you, 50 years and it just keeps getting better and better!


1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.