Monday, August 10, 2020

What's Going On

Well, I don't have a mystery for today. Instead, it's going to be a bit of a random post.

First, I'm starting with a recipe share. Connie and I went back to bridge for the very first time a couple weeks ago. We're wearing masks, social distancing, time allowed between rounds to wash hands and sitting 4 to an 8ft. round table for lunch. During lunch, one of the gals gave us a recipe. I finally tried it last week. It was really good and the "kids" were happy to take some home.

Pistacio Cake
1 yellow cake mix
2 boxes pistachio pudding (NOT instant but can be sugar free)*
1 cup hot water
1 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten

Mix all together and bake in a bundt pan at 350 according to cake mix directions. Cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

*I used one of each since the gal that gave us the recipe said that's what she did. As it turned out, I messed up and the sugar free one was instant. Still it was delicious. 

Couldn't be simpler than this. Next time, I think I'm going to put a glaze on it with a little almond extract in it.

Reading
I recently discovered a new author---Greg Olsen. I was telling Sandy about the BEST book I've read in 2020 so far---the only one I've given 5 stars. If You Tell is based on a true crime. It's simple unbelievable! That's all I'm going to say. Sandy told me about a book by him that she read, so I read it too. The Last Thing She Ever Did is not about a true crime, but a very different type of crime.  A "what would you do" sort of thing. I read a third one by him (not all in a row)--A Killing in Amish Country. Another true crime and my least favorite of the three. Still, the first two I ended up giving 5 stars--the only two on my list to get that rating. To put it in perspective, last year, I only gave three of the 60+ books I read 5 stars. I'm pretty critical. One thing I love about this author's format is that there are quick breaks so you can always find an easy stopping place. I don't like to stop in the middle of a page or before the end of a chapter. 


Stitching
I picked up the kits for the workshop that Sandy, Stephanie, Mindy and I were scheduled to take in May. It was postponed to August and then cancelled altogether. I'm sad about that because I wanted them to experience what fun it is to do a workshop. Instead, we're trying to find a weekend we can all get together and get started. I'll have to be the teacher. I'm okay with that, but really want us to have a lot of time to devote to it.
Where you see that apple on top---that's going to be a sparkly, crinkly Hershey's kiss, complete with the white Hershey's tab coming out of the top. This is going to be so much fun to stitch. I have visions of us getting together occasionally to work on it. I hope so!! 

Walking
I've settled in to a pretty good routine with my walking. I go out before dawn when it's still dark. I love the peace and quiet. Although I do not get to see the sunrise due to houses and trees, I do get to see the beautiful sky as it lights up for the day. Surprisingly, I've really come to look forward to it. I'm such a creature of habit. As soon as I wake up, I go out. I don't need an alarm. I've always been an early bird. But I used to get up and have my tea, watch the news and get on my computer. Now I've just rearranged that a little. I walk, take my shower and then start my day. Works for me. It feels good to be back on a regular exercise routine. It's good for me.

Words of Wisdom

Travelling
We're still not traveling. We had postponed our July trip to St. Louis to August. Now we're putting it off again until September. We are going to our condo at the beach over Labor Day for a week. Stephanie and Mindy are going with us. They'll spend a couple days working, but still have plenty of time for the beach. I don't love the beach, so I'll be at the pool. It's usually not crowded at that time of year. But with erratic school schedules, who knows. I'm looking forward to cooking some fresh seafood!!

Family News
We had another pool party on Saturday. It's our time to catch up with everybody. Mitchell told us about a new job he'll be starting the first of September. He's really excited and so are we! 

Morgan just moved to a rental house with one of her nurse friends. We went over on Sunday to help her decorate and hang stuff. We didn't get it all done because she hadn't talked to her roommate about when she wanted to use of her stuff. 

Justin is back at work, so he wasn't able to join us. He had a busy night. He walked nearly 28,000 steps according to his Fitbit--something like 16 miles! That made my feet hurt just thinking about it!!

Nicky said they've been busier than ever with home closings during this pandemic.

Stephanie and Mindy are both still working from home. Mindy's company (Vanderbilt) has postponed opening the office until January. Steph will be home all the way until next June. She may be working from home permanently.

Sandy and her family were at the beach all week. They ended up having great weather.

Well, I guess that's about all I have to report. There's not much new happening around here. Oh yeah, by the time you read this, we'll be up in Hendersonville (about 45 minutes from Nashville) doing another geo-cache adventure lab. That's for Travel Tuesday. That's about all we can do right now anyway!! 

Happy Monday! I hope you have a great week!!

1 comment:

  1. How lovely to catch up with all the family!
    That stitching is AMAZING! It's going to be so pretty, you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.