Sunday, August 2, 2020

A Tribute

About a week ago, a family friend passed away. Okay, you have to follow along here. Virginia was the mother of Jack, the mother-in-law of Connie and grandmother to Amanda and Malinda (who my girls grew up with) and greats: Analise, Merritt, Grace and Charlie). We have been friends for nearly 35 years. 

Virginia was such a sweet lady. I have many fond memories of her. She had two sons. She must have longed for daughters, because she always introduced Connie as her daughter and then me as her "other" daughter. I'm fine being an "other." I thought it was nice. I've always liked old people--especially cute ones!

Virginia made the best cheeseballs and sweet pickles. She always included me on her list of recipients. Luckily, she has passed that cheeseball recipe down to us. She also gave me her recipe for her baked oyster casserole which I serve on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll always think of her when I serve it.

I've helped Virginia move a couple of times. And by that I mean, I put in a few hours---not really days or anything--not trying to take too much credit here. 

The first time was when John and Virginia had moved in to their condo at Belle Meade Towers. My job was to organize her kitchen. Of course she had way too much stuff for that tiny kitchen. She was still entertaining at that point, so we made it work. 

Little did I know that the second time I would help, would be the last time I saw her. It was just a couple days before the lockdown went in to effect. The move that day was a little frustrating. She was only moving down the hall to a larger, refurbished apartment. Still, it wasn't big enough! She had so much stuff! Believe me, we all do! I know that. It hit me that it doesn't matter how old you are (and she was a couple days shy of 92 when she passed), you still think you might use stuff you are never going to use again! All her meals were provided, so she really didn't need most of the kitchen stuff. But, she wanted it and I get it. I remember thinking when I stacked boxes upon boxes in her "new" hall closet--that she would never look in them again. She probably didn't. 

We got to play bridge together once---even though we had planned to make it a regular "thing" right before Covid hit. We had a mutual bridge playing friend.
Here is Virginia on the left and Louise on the right at the Green Hills Grille where we had lunch. They were friends from their Belle Meade Tower days. Their husbands played poker together. They were the "call girls" in case the guys needed something. I thought that was so darn cute! Connie and I made the foursome--for lunch and bridge. I loved being able to get these old friends together. Connie and I had vowed to do it once a month. At least we got two months in before Covid. It's nice knowing we brought a little joy in to her life.

After Virginia died, Connie, Amanda and Malinda started the arduous task of cleaning out. I was so surprised (and happy) that they remembered me with a few momentos from Virginia's things. 
Just a few things that will remind me of Virginia and the beautiful and kind person she was. I'll definitely wear the stick pin. I've put that tiny little whatchamacallit (now there's a word I don't think I've ever written or said before) on the window sill over my kitchen sink. And the little dish would be perfect for serving her famous cheeseball. Now I have to make it!!

The family found this gorgeous portrait when they were going through Virginia's things. They hadn't seen it before. I just love this photo and am so happy they shared it.
Here is a more recent one with that same smile and twinkle in her eye! I love this one too. Such a stylish lady. I'm so happy to have known her.

Goodbye Virginia, I'll miss you! Oh, and be sure to tell John I said "hello!"

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I enjoyed hearing about her in your tribute post. How nice that she was staying active into her 90s. And she maintains the same lovely smile in all those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She kept that radiant smile all her life, what lovely photos. How lucky you were to have known her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the beautiful tribute! She did love you as one of her own girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post about our Granny! She loved spending time with you. She was a special lady and we will miss her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.