Monday, August 24, 2020

Me on Monday

On Friday, we celebrated our 49th anniversary.
Then, August 21, 1971. Me, 19 and he, 20--just two kids. Really!
Now, 49 years later. Just a bit older, but still kids at heart! 

We've gotten to that stage in our lives where we don't need anything or want anything. We pretty much buy what we want when we want it. We're trying to get rid of stuff! I think for this year, we'll consider our first step in remodeling our Santa Rosa beach condo as our anniversary present. I'll keep you posted on that.

Still, it's the little things.
I woke up to this. I kissed Butch and said, "You are too! When did you buy that candle?" He said, "I didn't. The other one was finished and I saw this one in the cabinet. Thought it was appropriate!" I had totally forgotten that I bought this. Actually, it's champagne toast scented.  I do remember buying that--just not the "you are loved" label. It smells divine.

A little later, he brought me these. They smell so good too.

We had a relaxing day. Our plan was to go to the club for dinner. We hadn't been there since Butch's birthday in June. 
They had the doors open. It was a beautiful view. I didn't request to sit outside because I didn't know how hot it might me. The food is always delicious. We shared the homegrown, heirloom tomatoes with burrata to start. Then we shared the fried clams and the meatballs on polenta. We took home the leftovers. As it turned out, we just about had the place to ourselves. There seems to have been a pretty big turnover at the club as I didn't recognize any of the wait staff. 

When we got home, I told Butch that I wanted to take a picture of our hands and wedding bands. We've never done that before---and didn't really know how to do it. I couldn't remember how the hands are supposed to be. It was awkward, so we tried a few ways.

We sort of wished that we had one from when we were first married as a comparison. But the point here is that those gold bands were a really big deal in 1971. No diamonds. We didn't have two nickels to rub together. We bought these rings for $350---90 days same as cash! And that's how we began. Diamonds came later. Still, these are most important to us.. Our initials are carved on top with the date etched on the inside. Butch's is worn just about smooth. I tried to get his re-engraved a few years ago, but the jeweler said he couldn't do it--short of smoothing it completely and starting over. Oh well.

It's all gone by so darn fast. Here's to 25 more!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Gosh you look so young in that top photo - but you're both still looking good 49 years later! Our wedding rings are gold with no stones as well, I wonder when having diamonds in a wedding ring as well as an engagement ring came into fashion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you both! What a blessing to be in love for so long. Are you already planning for a big do next year?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.