Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Travel Tuesday

So, I was in St. Louis last week and had a great time. As I look at my pictures, I am reminded that there are several that I wish I'd taken. I arrived on Monday and went straight to my BFF and cousin, Chrissy. I got there at 10:30 a.m.--I was on the road by 5 a.m. and drove straight through without any stops! I had to run to the bathroom! After hanging out for awhile, we met Janet at Freddy's. It has taken the place of Steak n' Shake--same type burgers and fries, but they also have frozen custard--which I always have to have when I'm in St. Louis. Steak n' Shake is more sentimental, but there are very few left. I'm just happy that I can still get the same menu at Freddy's.  

After lunch we all went to Jeanne's an hung out. It was so nice out.
My sister, Jeanne's yard is beautiful. I spent a lot of time out here--by myself and with her. The weather was perfect--not the oppressive, humid filled heat I'm used to!
On Tuesday, we didn't have any daytime plans, so had lunch outside. Her combination of flowers, foliage, and colors is great. I like to take credit for that as I think I sparked her love of gardening--30 years ago. I was going through the Master Gardening program through the University of Tennessee. Part of the course was installing gardens. I came to St. Louis, called her a work and asked if I could rip out some shrubbery she had around her pond. She took a leap of faith, agreed and the rest is history. We even met in Cincinnati for a flower show. 
We were so enthralled with the miniature gardens we saw that we bought plants (which were't cheap), stopped at Home Depot for soil and made them in our hotel room!

Later that day before meeting family for dinner, Jeanne, Janet and I met at the Checkered Cottage--a scrapbook store! 

I have to admit, my heart started pumping as soon as we entered. It's been a very long time since we've been to a scrapbook store. Sadly, there are few left. We all managed to buy a few things. I didn't really need anything that I bought, but wanted to support this small business. I'm not sure how it's hanging on. All the way back when there were stores everywhere, I didn't understand it. You have to sell a lot of paper to pay the rent!! It's no wonder they are just about extinct.

On Wednesday evening, we went by my nephew, Johnny's house to see his kids. The whole reason I'm so busy when I go to St. Louis is making the rounds to see everybody.
I just had to take a picture of the diaper station. Check out all the wipes!!

Then we went downstairs so Rosey could show us her playroom complete with a castle! OMGosh--it's the cutest thing. Johnny is a master carpenter!! Andrea did the artwork on the walls. 
Out of sight is a table that had another slew of baby wipes!!! He and Andrea still have two in diapers--although Rosey is on her way out. They definitely have their hands full with Theo--who is one. It's a busy household for sure! Older brother, Logan (11) is the quietest one!
Thursday was our day with the "littles" who aren't so little anymore. We met them at a kid's place called Slick City--full of all kinds of slides. From left: Logan, Travis, Reese, Nolan, Evie, Josie and Nathan. 

This is the kind of place where the kids are running from one place to another. All of us sisters were in different areas watching them.
Evie took this picture for us: me, Jeanne, Sharon, Janet and Janice. After an hour and a half, we were ready for lunch.
We went to Culvers for burgers and, of course, frozen custard. I gave Travis and Evie their needlepoint ornaments. I also gave all of the kids candy. I'm not very creative when it comes to little gifts. I no longer know the "in" things. But everyone loves candy! Right?

After lunch, I met Jennifer who was picking up Janice for their drive back to Salem. She had to deal with some car issue so was not able to join us for lunch. I met up with Chrissy for one last visit. After that, I visited Chris at the rehab facility where she is recovering from knee surgery. Walter was there too, so I got to see him. We had a nice time catching up on all of our grands. 

When I got back to Jeanne's, she, Jim and I went to an Italian place for dinner. Jeanne said she couldn't let the week go by without taking me for Italian food. She is so right! A trip to St. Louis would not be complete with Italian food. I say it all the time, but it's the truth. Nobody, no where does Italian like St. Louis! Italian restaurants are everywhere---and all so good! There's too much competition, so if they're not, they won't last. They know how to do salads that's for sure. I brought home the delicious tortellini that Butch and I had on Friday night. The portion was seriously enough for 4 people. And, the prices are ridiculous! I had an Italian salad and iced tea with my dinner and it was under $30 with tip! Thanks for working it in Jeanne!! I want to go back there. 

I woke up early on Friday and hit the road. I was home by 11:30 a.m. The trip was a breeze with little traffic--until I was about 10 miles out of Nashville where I came to a complete halt. I took some back roads along Old Clarksville highway. That little detour cost me about 40 minutes. 

The week flew by as it always does. You might ask why Butch didn't go with me. Quite frankly, he would cramp my style! I'm constantly on the run doing my own thing. He's not good sitting around and he certainly would not like all the things I do. So, although we go together once or twice a year, I'm better off on my own!!

Until next time St. Louis...around Thanksgiving, I think!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.