Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Travel Tuesday

Yes, I'm traveling this week. I'm in St. Louis and having a great time--or I will be when you read this. I actually wrote it on Sunday!

 It's hectic trying to see everyone--and I always look forward to the best Italian food. Or, I should say, salads. Nobody does salads better than St. Louis! And pizza--simply nothing like it anywhere--St. Louis-style pizza.

Anyway, I thought this might be a good time to share some recent travel hacks that I think are interesting.

1. I can't quite wrap my brain around this one, but the idea is that you freeze wet sponges to use as ice packs for anything you want to take on the plane that needs to be kept cold. 
It just seems to me that the sponge would thaw out pretty fast. There have been a few times when we've been renting a place and cooking. It would be nice to be able to take the leftovers home--cheese, lunchmeat, butter, etc. Maybe I ought to give it a try.

2. Now this tip is pretty genius if you ask me. Use an oven mitt to carry a hot, just used curling iron in your suitcase. 
I cannot tell you how many times I forgot my curling iron because I had it cooling on the counter before I even left home! Okay, I can tell you how many times. Two. Exactly two. When we got to our destination, I had to buy a new one--each time. 

3. Use a shower cap to hold your shoes. This is a good idea, but personally, I don't need it. I have several bags--either from shoes or purses that I use. 
And then, of course, I do wash all of my shoes when I get home from a trip. I don't care what kind they are. Recently after Italy, I washed all of them--cloth, tennis shoes, slippers and flip flops--even leather shoes. I don't put them in the dryer, just let them air dry. I rarely have shoes fall apart. It has happened a couple times, but those were already old and about ready to go anyway.

4. This is a great idea for men or women. Roll up your belts and put them in the collars of your shirts or blouses to keep them from getting crushed.
Of course, that requires you to actually have a belt. Heck, I might just have to buy some belts so I can do this. I'm beyond belts these days.

5. I'm just throwing this one in because it's a good idea. Thread your necklaces through a straw to keep them from getting tangled. 
I would do this all the time--not just for traveling--if I had any necklaces. Really, I have exactly one. The diamond that I have been wearing for years and never take off--unless I'm getting a massage. Plus, if Mindy would use this idea, she wouldn't have to bring her dad a glob of necklaces all knotted together for him to untangle. The guy can do anything. Sometimes, I think she's putting him to the test! He passes every time!

6. Pack dryer sheets in your luggage. They keep your suitcases smelling fresh and keep your clothes from smelling musty. I like this one. 

7. If you are like me, you hate to touch the remote control. That might be why I never turn on the tv while traveling. But, Butch does. That means I have to touch it to turn it off. Years ago, I used to use a baggie for the remote after reading that after testing, they discovered some unsavory things on it. I'm not even going to go there--use your imagination. Then I heard this one:
use the shower cap! You can still use it for your shoes when getting ready to leave!

8. Some hotels require that you put in the key card to get electricity which means you lose it when you leave the room--especially in Europe. Well, for those of us who need the electricity to be running to charge our devices--like portable chargers so we can charge our devices, here's a great idea:
Any card will do. Hmmm, what a great way to use the jokers from a deck of cards. I'm going to stick one in my suitcase right now! I hope I remember I did that when I need it!

9. Who knew?
You can use a glass as a speaker for your phone. I need to try it just to see if it really works.

10. Ask for a corner room when checking in. Apparently, they are bigger. Worth asking.

And now one final tip from me: get yourself some packing cubes. They are not expensive. I absolutely love them. I have a set of 4--they were around 10 bucks. But, I love this set of 8 for $20. Just be sure they have the mesh top so you can see through them. I'm tempted to get them just because they are pretty. I have pink ones, but these seem better.

One last tip: get extra charging cords for all of your devices and keep them in a ziplock bag. All you have to do is grab the bag and you are good to go. No more hunting for your computer, phone, Fitbit, or Kindle chargers at the last minute. I also keep a little speaker (thus eliminating having to use that glass), tea bags, and Equal and a few hand sanitizer wipes in there too. 

Well, just one more: always have a pashmina with you when traveling. You just never know when you'll need a little something--especially on cold planes or airports!!

And here are some stupid ideas:
1. Rub the mirror with soap to avoid steam build-up.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A regular size bar would take forever--much less that mini-sized bar. Uh, how about doing it the regular way? Just open the door.

2. It's recommended that you carry instant meals in your suitcase for your hotel room so you don't have to get expensive room service. That sounds absurd. All you need are some assorted snacks. Or better yet, carry something in--pizza or a sandwich. Butch and I really like picking up cheese, salami, fruit, and a hunk of bread for a quick picnic when we're tired in the evening and don't want to go back out.

3. You can use a matchbook to file your nails.
This is stupid on a couple levels. 1. Who even carries matches anymore? 2. Where would you even get said matches? 3. Seems to me that rather than having to remember to hunt, and find a book of matches, you could simply put an emery board with your travel stuff. I have one in my "ditty" bag. Duh!

4. Talk about stupid. You are supposed to attach your keys to a charging cord so you don't forget them.
Are you kidding me? Wouldn't your phone be enough of a reminder? And what's up with that disgusting phone? Whoever took this picture---what were they thinking? What a nasty-looking phone screen! I would never take a picture with it looking like this. Well, actually that could never happen. My phone never looks like this.

5. Use the bathroom sink filled with ice to chill your drinks. How stupid! OR you could just use the ice bucket!

6. Pack a crayon for emergencies. What the...? Now this is really stupid. You are supposed to pack a crayon in your wallet: A. as a spacer to keep your cards from bending. I've never needed anything and my cards are just fine. B. you have something to write with if your pen runs dry or pencil tip breaks. How about just carrying an extra pen? Like I said, stupid!

7. It bothers me that I don't have a "7."

8. Or an "8."

9. Or a "9" or...

10. Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.