Monday, August 28, 2023

Me on Monday

Well, I'm starting to worry about myself. 

Last Thursday, on the way home from the beach, we stopped by the grocery store. As I was putting the groceries away, I noticed that the bread and eggs were missing. I do not get a printed receipt--I signed up to go paperless and have it emailed--or so I thought. I've never actually gotten a receipt via email, but I never really cared or even thought about it.

I called the store and the guy who answered said that they had my bag of groceries. I asked him to put the eggs in the refrigerator case as I'd come first thing in the morning to pick them up. When I got to the store, the clerk on duty could not find my bag. Surprisingly, there were many bags, so at least I'm not the only one who leaves a bag behind. 

Anyway, he asked me what I had. I mentioned the eggs and bread, but wasn't sure if there was something else. He told me to go and get the bread and eggs. When I got back, I asked if he could look up my purchase so that I could make sure I got everything. He said that he needed my card number. I told him that I always use my phone number. He said he needed the card number--which I don't have. Another woman walked up. The guy said something to her. She asked if I had the Publix app on my phone. I did. When I opened it up, she showed me where the receipts were stored. Actually, it's pretty cool. I can see exactly how much money I've spent at the store--I haven't really explored it, so I don't know if I can track the whole year. 

I pulled up the receipt from the day before and checked it all. I did have everything. Now, I'm going to say here that I don't believe this was just me leaving a bag of groceries behind. When the bagger put the bags in my cart, he asked me if I needed help out to the car. I looked down and saw just the two bags and said "no, I'm pretty sure I can handle it!" And off I went. 

To me, that meant that the bagger failed to put the third bag in my cart. So, I'm not really claiming this as my fault. But, when I was putting the groceries away, I did realize right away that something was missing.

Now fast forward just 3 days. Yesterday morning, I got an email with a really delicious-sounding recipe that I decided I wanted to try--Scallops with Fresh Corn and Tomatoes. So I put my grocery list together. At the end of the recipe it said that you could substitute shrimp if you wanted to. I love shrimp and decided that I would just get a half pound of each. 

Around 4 p.m., I was starting supper. I was really looking forward to this meal. It sounded so good--with Boursin cheese and a few other things. I started to get all the ingredients out when I realized that I did not have the seafood. What?? How is that possible? Surely I couldn't have left another bag at the store. Then I remembered that the single bag of groceries I had---fell over on the back floorboard of the car. Butch went out to check. Yep, the seafood was under the seat! That meant it was in the hot car for over 4 hours. Butch said he thought it was okay. I knew it wasn't, but went to the internet just to check. Fresh seafood cannot be without refrigeration for more than one hour. I was so bummed! There went my dinner! And the money! That was about $14.00 down the drain--or I should say garbage disposal! What a disappointment. It just dawned on me. I wonder what my car smells like?? That will be another surprise for me tomorrow when I get in it!

What to do about dinner? I had some crab legs in the freezer, so I quickly got those out. I made some zucchini and mashed potatoes. It wasn't the dinner I wanted, so I didn't really enjoy it at all. This time, it was totally on me. How did I not notice that the seafood was missing? Even Butch said he's starting to worry about me! I've got to pay more attention!

Today, I'm going back to the grocery store. I'm determined to have this meal! In fact, I'm so sure it's going to be a winner, I'm going to share the recipe now.

Seared Scallops with Creamy Corn, Tomatoes and Chives
3 cups fresh corn (4 large ears)
1/2 cup Boursin cheese (garlic and herb or chive)
12 cherry tomatoes (halved)--I'm using grape tomatoes because I think they have more flavor.
1 lb. scallops (I'm using 8 oz. and 8 oz. of shrimp)
2 t. salted butter
1/2 t. kosher salt
black pepper to taste
1 t. olive oil
chives

Wash scallops and pat dry. Season with 1/4 t. kosher salt and pepper to taste.

Heat large pan on high until hot. Melt butter and place scallops in pan. Sear until the bottom turns a caramel brown. Turn over and cook another minute being carelul not to overcook. Remove and set aside.

Add oil and the corn. Season with salt and cook about 2 or 3 minutes.
Add cheese and 3 or 4 T water and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring.
Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes. 
Divide into 4 portions and top with scallops.
Garnish with fresh chives.


1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness you found that seafood when you did, even thought it had been out of the fridge for too long to use imagine what your car would have smelt like if you hadn't found it for a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.