Wednesday, March 22, 2023

What I Didn't Buy Wednesday...

So. I went for my colonoscopy pre-procedure meeting with the doctor. She told me that all of my medical records look so good that this will be my last colonoscopy--barring any bad results this time. I'm sure that was meant to make me feel good. But, really it doesn't matter to me. Unlike most people, I don't mind having the occasional colonoscopy--every ten years. But, I also have to say, I am the ONLY person I know who doesn't have to drink two gallons of nasty tasting stuff. My doctor has always let me have the "pills." Years ago, I asked why everyone else has to drink all that stuff. He said, "Colonoscopies are all I do. I have found that it really doesn't make much difference---so why not let people have the easier way?" Sounded good to me.

This time is no exception. In fact, the prep has even gotten easier! I had my choice between these two:
The one on the left is a minimal amount of liquid that you drink followed by 6 cups. of other liquid of your choice over the course of an hour. The box on the right contains the pills--same thing--you take 1 every ten minutes over the course of an hour followed by one cup of liquid. Then, 6 hours prior to the procedure, you repeat the process. Seems easy enough.

I picked the pills because I remember from the last time that I had complete control over the entire situation. I was able to watch my shows and just go to the bathroom on the commercials--unlike my friend--who shall remain nameless (okay, it's Connie) who fell asleep, bolted awake when "it" started to happen, and messed herself and her floor all the way to the bathroom! TMI, I know, but it's too funny not to share! She even laughs at herself! (On another note, I experienced this same situation when I was so sick a few months back--except I had the forethought to put towels down).

The doctor--or maybe she's a nurse--explained that the prep is expensive, so she was giving me a $50 off coupon. And if it was still too expensive, I could come back and get some samples for free. They phoned in the prescription. I drove through CVS on my way home. They hadn't received the prescription yet, but I asked if they could tell me how much it was going to cost. It was going to be $200 and my BCBS drug plan would pay $28.00. So I knew with the coupon, I would only owe $122.00. I was okay with that. I felt like--since I can afford it, I should leave the "free" samples for someone that might not be able to afford it. 

When I called later to see if it was ready, they said that because I'm on Medicare, they (Medicare--or maybe the pharmacy--not sure) would not honor the coupon. All of a sudden, $178 was just too much. So, I went back down to the office and picked up the free sample. 

So that's what I didn't buy this week.

And then to top it off, there's this bonus of using the pills:
I get to eat breakfast! I don't have to start the liquid diet until after breakfast the day before my procedure!! I'm going to have biscuits, cream of wheat and maybe some fruit!

It's just not that big of a deal! I say that now. We'll see how it really turns out! Wish me luck!





2 comments:

  1. My husband has had to have a couple of these procedures over the years and both times had to drink the gross liquid - he would definitely have chosen to have pills if he could! Poor Connie - oh that must have been just awful, she definitely would stay awake after taking the medication if she has to have it again!
    Hope the results are good and this will be your last colonoscopy for many a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your last one. I didn't realize they stopped doing them at such a young age. '-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.