Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Tuesday Thoughts About...

Snakes. I HATE 'em! Enough said.

Okay, not quite enough. I have to share the story. On Saturday night, I got a phone call from my neighbor across the street. Now considering I've only talked to her about 3 times in 23 years, this call was cause for alarm. Had someone broken in to the house? Turns out, she wanted to warn me about a HUGE snake that had slithered up a tree out front.

Then she sent pictures! OH! MY! GOSH!
Beware, these photos are cringeworthy!
 This is one serious snake! She was afraid it was poisonous. It's not. It has a round head.
 Just looking at these pictures again is freaking me out. Because you know what this means?
 There's never just ONE snake! I'm sure he has a family that is living happily in our yard.
I've identified it as a king snake. They can get to 5 ft. long---which this one was. So, since it's fully mature, you know for sure there's a family involved!

I know they are supposed to be good for the garden--eating pesky rodents. Still I don't like them. They creep me out. But now I have a problem. Should I warn my garden girls? I think I should, but I don't want them to quit me! Still I need to do the right thing. Okay, I'll do it. I'll let Sara know about this mammoth. I just hate them. I can't help it.

Snakes remind me of the ones that always tried to get in to our house in the fall when I was growing up. Our screen door was "sprung" so wouldn't close all the way. Every fall, we'd find snakes coming in to the house. That freaked us out. My mom hated snakes. She managed to get a rake to pull it out of the doorway and then chop it up with a shovel. This happened too many times to count. Well, okay, I'll try. Two. It happened exactly TWO times. That's enough to qualify for EVERY fall---don't ya' think?

1 comment:

  1. That would have totally freaked me out too - and you're probably right, snakes aren't really solo creatures are they? Hope someone manages to find out where the rest of the family is living so they can be evicted very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.