Saturday, September 22, 2018

The Pubs

There are so many things about the pubs in England that I love. 1. The names are so unusual and fun. 2. Often times, there are gorgeous flower boxes attached. 3. You can grab a quick bite of traditional British food. Here are just a few of the ones we stopped at---I didn't get photos of them all, nor do I remember all the names. 
This was the first one that Nancy, Karolyn and I stopped at on our very first day. I took this picture before we went in. As it turns out, it was too crowded, so we didn't end up getting a drink here.
 Nancy and I stopped here at The Henry Holland after shopping at Selfridges. Those flowers!!!
The guy running this pub was quite a character! He said he was going to fix me up with a special concoction. Too many drinks to remember exactly what was in this one. I do remember that it was good. When I decided to take a picture of it, I noticed that it almost looked like Nancy was taking a sip. So, I told her to "pucker up!" I was laughing so hard. I entertain myself all the time! I wanted to post this one on Facebook, but Nancy said "no" since she didn't want her daughters to think all she was doing was drinking! Anyone that knows us knows that we enjoy a good cocktail, but usually never more than one of two. It's almost more about the atmosphere and people watching! Our "guy" didn't disappoint! He was so fun! He spent time chatting us up and then gave us tube instructions to get back to our hotel.
After touring Windsor Castle, we stopped at this pub for lunch (in Windsor). We really liked all of our food. Imagine our surprise, later that night, AFTER our Jack the Ripper tour, when we stopped at another pub in White Chapel called Woodins Shades. Turned out to have the exact same menu and dishes as The Carpenter Arms. What are the odds of ALL the pubs in London that we would choose one that was part of a chain? The service wasn't nearly as good this time. Plus we learned that it's really hard to find food after 9:00 p.m.
The next day, we went to Hampton Court Palace. I had my heart set on having tea there at the Palace Gardens Cafe. Even though September is my favorite time to visit England (still nice weather, but no crowds) it's considered off season. After being disappointed with the tea offering at Highclere Castle a few years ago, I wasn't taking any chances this time. Prior to going to England, I had this back up already in the plans. I'm so glad I did. Not only was it beautiful, the food was delicious! Another thing about traveling in September, we never had to wait with 6 people!
 On the first day we arrived in Nottingham, Gren and Diane met us at our hotel. They took us on a walking tour of the town. We stopped here at Pitcher & Piano.
Now this is what I call "going to church!" I think it's such a good idea to re-purpose these historic buildings. They are full of history and beautiful art---here the gorgeous stained glass windows and architectural elements.

 Diane snapped this photo from the choir loft. We didn't have a drink here because Gren had something else in mind for us.
 Sadly, not only did I NOT get a photo of the place we stopped for gin & tonics, but I don't remember the name either! Too many fun places to remember everything---and I didn't have any time to journal my trip. (Side note: Butch journaled his trip to Portugal and I was/am so jealous! He's got all the details!) Anyway, we had already been introduced to this gin--lemon flavored. The gin and tonics are so light and refreshing! I started hunting for Sipsmith at home. Finally, on the third store (Butch's favorite) in Cool Springs, I spoke to a guy who turns out to be from London. He knew exactly what I was talking about. He said it was the BEST gin for G & T's. They only had the regular gin in the Sipsmith brand, but he ordered me the lemon flavored. It will be here next week. I hope it makes it in time for my sister's crop next Wednesday!
Back to Nottingham. Here we are at the oldest Inn in all of England--"Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem." We stepped in to take a look. It's unbelievable how old it is--dating back to 1189! It's set in to the side of a cliff and has caves underneath. We didn't go down there.
You've heard of Nottingham lace? Well, we strolled down the street where all the lace houses were located. Today, many have been turned in to pubs. Actually, now that I think about it, I need to go back to Nottingham and spend the day just going from pub to pub having a "pint." That would be beer---although I don't drink beer. I'll stick with the G&T's.
On our very last night in Nottingham, Stephanie, Karolyn, Nancy and I stopped at one last pub. Again, I can't remember the name, but here, the specialty of the house was a rhubarb gin & tonic. I have never had rhubarb before, but I quite liked it in this drink!
This made me so happy! Just like Ireland, I asked for hot chocolate with Bailey's at two different places and both made it for me!! It's so delicious. I could have had it every night, but didn't. It's just not calorie friendly.
We tried to get in to this pub one night after dinner, but it was too crowded---especially for 8 people. 

Considering, I'm not a "bar" person (I'm not really much of a drinker), when I'm traveling, that's one of my favorite things to do. I love stopping, taking a load off, getting the specialty of the house, people watching (especially if it's outside) and having a chat with my traveling companions. Visiting local pubs has become part of the vacation experience. I'd say it rates up there AFTER TEA!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the good old English pub - you found some great ones on your travels! I'm a G&T girl too and love to experiment with new varieties. I tried a rhubarb and ginger gin this summer and loved it too. But my favourite at the moment is Pinkster gin. Flavoured with raspberries and so delicious, do you have that one over there?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.