Sunday, September 23, 2018

Some of the Sights!

I've been posting every day to spread out our experience. It's almost like having another week of vacation---reliving our escapades. Almost---at least that's what I'm telling myself. Really, it's not the same at all. But the pictures are making me so happy! My list for the "next time" is already so long!

You might want to grab a cup of coffee or a "cuppa" (tea--for you non Brit speakers!---I know, I'm being all British snobby here. You know I'm smitten with Britain!)

Fair warning---this is a long one! These are just some of the places we visited--in no particular order as my photos are scrambled. I don't know what's up with that.
If I never did anything but walk around and look at old buildings, I'd be happy! The details in the architecture are gorgeous!
This was a really interesting tour. It's the last remaining "workhouse" located in Southwell--pronounced "suthul." I've only read about workhouses in books. Families went in to the workhouse--a government run facility designed to punish people for their poverty! Destitution was the lowest of the low---not to be confused with "the innocents"--those elderly who were too sick to work and therefore destitute. Men, women and children were separated and not allowed to mix. Once a week for an hour they were allowed to reunite. They were such miserable places, that no one wanted to go there---but you actually had to qualify to be able to. They were supposed to be unpleasant so people would not want to stay. I never did "get" how they thought that if a family was so desperate that they had to go here, what could possibly change for them to get a job outside in order to leave? That was the part I couldn't really get.
 The countryside throughout England is spectacular!
 I don't really remember where this was---or who's taking the picture---or where the other girls are. Too many "moments" to remember them all!
 This is at Chatsworth House.
Nancy, Pat and Stephanie in front of Chatsworth House. They toured the house, while I spent my time in the garden. There wasn't time for both. My garden pictures are coming soon.
Notice Steph's jacket? I'm the only one of the group who did not bring a sweater or a jacket for the trip. I had been to England in September before and it was hot, so I didn't even think of it. My shoulders were definitely cold in my 'cold shoulder top!"
 Diane snapped this photo in front of the reflection sphere in Nottingham.
On a lark, Gren popped in here at the Bromely House and asked if we could have a tour. When he told the "curator" (I guess that's who he was) that we were friends from America, he let us in---and then proceeded to give us a tour!!
Even though born and raised in Nottingham, Diane and Gren had never been inside. You have to have a membership. There are thousands of very old and many original manuscripts. They are just on shelves everywhere---not locked away behind glass. In fact, members are allowed to handle anything!  Someone asked what their collection was worth. The "guy" said that they never had it valued as they didn't want people to know what it was worth. I'm sure they are insured!
It wouldn't be Nottingham without Robin Hood. This sparked a debate---was Robin Hood real, or fictional. Diane thinks that he was based on a man who robbed the rich and gave to the poor. Now whether his name was Robin Hood is unclear.
 This is the top of the cascading water at Chatsworth. Diane went with me through the gardens.
 I can't remember exactly what this is, but I think it's an old hospital near our hotel in Nottingham.
 I love old gravestones---the engraving tends to be so ornate.
 Just an awesome little street--everything was so clean too!
Front view of the Council House in the plaza (I don't think they call it that---I guess I'm not as fluent in Brit speak as I like to think I am!)
This is the clocktower courtyard at Hampton Palace (home of King Henry VIII). This clock has been keeping time since 1515!! Unbelievable! I have a clock from 1986 that's not running!
The palace gardens. I didn't have time to explore them on this trip. We could have spent the entire day here---actually, we just about did. Back on my list--for sure.
 Stephanie and I outside of Windsor Castle.

 Broad view of Windsor Castle.
We arrived at Heathrow on Saturday. On Sunday, the first thing we did was the "hop on hop off" bus tour.
 All of us in the rose garden at Hampton Court.
This was another "trick" that Gren pulled off! The Council House was closed when we arrived. Gren introduced his American friends and the next thing we knew, we were inside with a private tour! We had to have a photo with the queen!
 I don't even remember which church this is---we saw so many.
 The backside of Chatsworth House.
The kitchen courtyard of Hampton Court. They cooked for 300-400 people every day. The king and some other nobles had 44 courses! If you were lesser, you got 22. I can't imagine! No wonder Henry was so large!
 I loved how this grave marker honored firemen! Heroes with grimy faces---that really sums it up!
 Another beautiful church. I have no idea which one!
I had to include this picture of Diane's house. Those windows!! I love the detailing of the leaded glass. She has a lovely row of flowers lining the wrought iron fence--I should have gotten a shot of them. Inside there are three levels of charm! We had such a perfect evening. Gren greeted us with wine---me with tea---and this sign:
We had our book club discussion on The Forgotten Seamstress. This book tied right in with our Jack the Ripper tour. Butch scoffed when Stephanie and I told him what we learned. We're definitely sold on the fact, that Jack was "put up to it" by cohorts of the royals--protecting the throne from scandal and bastard children! Yes, it's true. And the Masons were involved. And then there's the insane asylum---doesn't just about all English literature include one of those?

During our discussion, Diane's daughters and grands arrived. Gren made us tapas for dinner---so many fabulous dishes. We had a perfectly relaxing evening with the family. They made us feel right at home. Plus, I think Stephanie was happy to spend time with a few younger people!!
This is one church where Gren's magic didn't work! It was closed and the "guy" we saw didn't seem interested in letting us in. That's okay, we saw a fabulous one just a couple blocks away!
While we were on the "hop on hop off" bus tour, we came to a dead stop here. You would think they might tell us what this building was and it's significance, but, no. It's called the Bluecoat School. Due to clothing and mannequins in the window, we surmised that it must have been a place to learn to sew. We couldn't have been more wrong! I looked it up (because I'm that nerd that wants to know EVERYTHING!). This is one of many schools throughout London. This one was built in 1709 as a school for the poor. The boys were identified by their uniforms which included the blue coat and yellow socks. Now if that didn't set you apart---talk about politically incorrect!! It was a school until 1926. Now it's owned by a fashion designer--hence the clothing in the windows.
 Our arrival at Hampton Court. I finally made it!!! You can read about my former fiasco here.
On our walking tour of Nottingham, we came across the entrance to the castle. Unfortunately, it was closed for renovation. Just another reason I want to go back!

We ended our trip with a fabulous dinner at Mr. Mann's. 
It was my introduction to Cantonese food. We LOVED it! The perfect ending to a perfect trip. Everything was perfect---the weather, the food, the sights and most of all, the friends!

We all agreed that this was an amazing trip. Even Stephanie---who is a book club member and knew what to expect---had a great time. Actually, she thinks my friends are a lot of fun---even if we drove her crazy with the crossing the street thing. She was pretty bossy about it. At one point, someone said, "who brought her?"

I did. And I'd do it again!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks like a fabulous trip - y'all surely did get to see lots of great sites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how much you enjoyed your time here and I think you've seen places that I haven't! You have some great photos here, there's definitely a whole album waiting to be made.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.