Thursday, September 20, 2018

"T" Stands for Thursday and Tea

I've finally decided that England is my all time favorite place in the world. I think tea has a lot to do with it. You can check out some of my old posts, here, here, here ---I could go on and on, as I have done many posts about tea over the years. If you want to see more of my posts about tea all you have to do is put "tea" in the search box at the top of my blog. ALL the posts I've done regarding tea will pop up. You can just scroll through.

I don't know what it is about tea. It's calming and soothing for me. I start my day with it. That first sip always makes me say "aaahhhh!"---but only in my head or else Butch would think I'm nuts!

My British book club friend Diane knows this about me. She makes a "proper tea" every time she has book club at her house. I like to think it's just for me! She assured me that we'd have plenty of opportunities for tea this trip for sure. And we did!

We started with "high" tea at Fornum and Mason---an upscale (or as the Brits say---upmarket) department store started in 1707 in Piccadilly. I showed this photo yesterday, but it bears sharing again.


The mechanical clock and the entry hints at what you'll find inside. Everything is just so gorgeous.
Fornum & Mason's signature aqua fine bone china is made especially for them and is available for purchase.
 The tea room is elegant with comfortable upholstered chairs, fresh flowers and fine linens.
I started with the lobster pie with truffles---divine! Tea is a production. There's no rushing. The food was delicious. I would have been happy with just the scones and clotted cream! I selected the Jubilee tea---blended in honor of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee. I need to admit, that I am very influenced by names of things. I pick things based on names (especially my nail colors--not quite a waitress red, it's all Greek to me, Cajun shrimp, teal the cows come home---you get the idea). I still have enough tea for one more pot of the William and Kate Royal Wedding Blend I bought the first time I was in London! Butch has always said that I am a marketers dream! I am and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

After this wonderful tea, we shopped. I headed straight for the tea (and china) department. That teapot was going home with me! "I didn't care what it cost!!"
Come on, who wouldn't be swayed by these displays. Just gorgeous! I easily could have bought more china, but I resisted. I only got the teapot and I'm happy with that. Remember, our kids don't want our stuff, so I'm trying to keep my purchases to a minimum!
My sentiments EXACTLY! Tea is refined. I like to think that this little ole country girl from St. Louis (I know that seems like an oxymoron--coming from a big city, but you have to know where I grew up in the sticks of St. Louis) is now a bit refined. Let's not take a vote!
The day we arrived in Nottingham, Diane and Gren took us to this tea room. I had tea, but didn't have "high tea" since we were going to be having a big dinner. When I saw that Elizabeth got it, I was so jealous that I didn't just get it!
This sign in the tea room really sums it up. When we have tea, you lose all track of time. Not always a good thing when you have so much to do and see!
 And then on Thursday, Diane made reservations for us to have "high" tea at Chatsworth House.
Here's the whole gang! On the left: Nancy, Karolyn, Pat and Elizabeth. On the right, Stephanie, Diane and me.

  All the china here was by Wedgewood---which I'm adding to my tour list for the next time I come.
 Our first course was smoked salmon. All of the flowers are edible, so I ate them.
Then came the tiered plates with all the goodies. Those scones in the center are always my favorite. In fact, I didn't have any of the sweets and had an extra scone instead. In fact, I ordered scones two other times with lunches---once a bowl of soup with a cheddar scone and another to use as my dessert.

I can't believe that we do not have a single tea room in Nashville. We've had a few now and then over the years, but they don't seem to make it. In England, they are everywhere! I could live there. For sure.

Having tea was my most favorite part of my trip.


1 comment:

  1. How lovely to see that you have fallen in love with a good old British afternoon tea! There's something about the whole process of proper tea making isn't there? Warming the pot, boiling water on tea leaves, letting it brew and then drinking it out of proper china - doesn't get better than that (unless of course you've got a delicious homemade scone with butter and jam to go with it!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.