Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Travel Tuesdays/Route 66

I'm really spreading these travel posts out.

A couple years ago, we did a segment of the old Route 66 while we were in Oklahoma. We met Walter and Chris in Tulsa and went from there. We had such a good time, that I decided that I wanted to do the entire thing! It starts in Chicago and goes all the way to Santa Ana, California.

Fast forward to the first weekend of August. Butch had gotten tickets for the 100th Anniversary of the US Open golf tournament. I think that's what it's called. I know nothing about golf. Anyway, I suggested that we go a few days early, pick up Walt and Chris and head to Chicago to do that leg of the route. Plus, I liked the idea of doing some of it while I'm actually 66!

We had a plan. That changed with a phone call on Tuesday night. Butch's favorite uncle had passed away. Instead of Chicago, we headed to Tulsa for the funeral. As it turned out, we were able to do a bit of Route 66 in Missouri. OMGosh y'all. You NEED to do this. All of the kitschy stuff is so much fun and interesting---plus you learn a lot. A. Lot!

Just about all of these photos were taken in Cuba, Missouri.

 This is the Wagon Wheel Motel. It's been refurbished and you can actually stay here. We're thinking of doing it some time.



 There are murals lining Main Street telling of all the historical things that took place here. They have a Route 66 and Murals museum, but we didn't have time for that.
 Big John!



 I had no idea a Civil War battle took place here.





 I do not recall the significance of this home, but it sure is pretty!
 Yeah, there was something about the Indians, but I don't remember that either.
 This mural commemorates the coopers (barrel makers). This rang a bell with me. I remember when we were in Scotland at one of the Scotch distilleries, the tour guide mentioned that they got their white oak barrels from Missouri. When we were on the Jack Daniels tour, we found out that they got their barrels from Scotland that had already been used for scotch.
 We stopped here to see the world's largest rocking chair. We had a great time browsing this store. We bought some old fashioned sodas, a Route 66 map and this souvenir plate:

The store clerk took our picture and then admitted that this is actually the 2nd largest rocking chair. There's another in Illinois that is the largest. We'll catch that one when we finally do the Chicago/St. Louis leg of Route 66.

We had a great time. We discussed that we were going to get to a point that we'd have to fly somewhere, meet up and rent a car to get further west. Butch and I discussed renting an RV and spending two weeks to complete the route. I think that would really be fun. We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! I think you really do need to do that last leg of the journey in an RV - what a great holiday that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad y'all got to do some of the route. I enjoyed seeing all these photos & an RV trip sounds FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.