Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Travel Tuesday

You already know I was scrapbooking from last Wednesday until Sunday---AND that I forgot my phone!! 

Well, this was the third time that we have been to this cabin in Hickory, Kentucky---very near Paducah.
It's huge and perfect for us! They have a huge dining table for our scrapbooking. Since we had 6 this time, we brought an extra table. There was still plenty of room to spare. There is a very Long Island that we use for all of our shared tools. Then it has a wrap around the room fireplace hearth where we put up the printer and Cricuts. Truly a scrapbookers dream!

Little did we know that a big storm would come through on Thursday night to add some excitement. We awoke to flooding.
The water kept rising throughout the day. This is about at its highest.
"Easy" who is the handyman came out to see us. He told us not to worry that he could get us out with boats if necessary. I was never worried--because I am not a worrier--at--all!
The house is built on stilts. The water was under the house, but still about 10 feet below.
We moved our cars as far up as we could. The water only reached the front tires. 
I never panicked because I knew it would need to rise at least 24" deep to reach the engines. I did wonder if the gravel road would still be there or washed away. By Saturday morning, the water had receded and the gravel drive was still there. It wasn't rushing water. Butch had already said that my 4-wheel drive Jeep could handle it if it was mud.

Actually, the water just added to the fun of the weekend. We had a great time and have set the date for our next retreat in October. We've got it down to a fine science. Everyone brings certain tools and things to share. We set up a meal schedule. Then we just scrapbook for hours on end. So much fun. I can't wait for the next time.  I'll share my layouts on Saturday. 

We're leaving for St. Louis on Thursday. 

1 comment:

  1. Well that must have been quite a surprise - now you know why it was built on stilts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.