Sunday, February 26, 2023

Something for Sunday

I've been forgetting to unveil our new bedroom. We've been waiting because the chest had a big hole in the back when they delivered it. What made us so mad is that those delivery men had to know that when they put it up against the wall. They just didn't care. The only reason we discovered it was because Butch pulled it out to put the television on top! I could go on and on about this---hmmm, maybe I'll save it for a "Friday Frustration" post. 

Okay, let's get on with it. This is the before.
We bought this furniture when we moved into the house in 1995. I've always liked it just fine. 
When we decided to go with a king bed, I knew I wanted to get rid of a lot of furniture. It's a big room and the new bed would definitely fit, but we just didn't need all the furniture. We each have large walk-in closets---where I keep all of my clothes. Butch did use the "highboy" piece. The dresser you see is empty except I had Christmas jewelry in the top drawer. I told Butch he could have the new chest of drawers as well as the drawers under the new bed.
This room can be a little dark. The only window in the room is behind the chair which is the shady side of the house--it never gets sun. We get light from that big window in the bathroom and indirect light through the French doors to our sunroom. By getting lighter furniture and removing some of the furniture, the room looks bigger and almost a little bare. I think I need an artificial, tall plant to put next to the chest to help hide all that electrical stuff.
A few things to note: I did not want to re-paint. I still love this shade of robin's egg blue. It's all exactly the same color, just striped with glossy and flat paint to get that effect. I knew I was going to have to give up the queen comforter but then decided to keep it and fold it on the end of the bed. I did not want to replace my drapes (pictured above) and needed to keep the pillows and comforter to tie them all together. I went with a plain, puffy tone-on-tone, white king comforter.
This is the view from the bathroom. I didn't change any accessories---except to get rid of a few and a lamp. I'm going to get rid of those little pictures on the right and replace them with another awesome framed photo I've taken from somewhere around the world.
I'm also going to add a picture(s) over the bed. I think that will solve my problem with it seeming a little bare. I love the lighter feel of the room AND our king bed. We're sleeping like babies! And, yes, we can still cuddle!

Getting into the bed is tricky--a little too high for this height-challenged girl!. I didn't realize that when we bought it. I think I mentioned that the step I bought looks like a little child's thing for the bathroom. Maybe that's what it is. That's what happens when you order online and can't see something in person. Butch said, "So what? Nobody will see it but us." He's right, but I don't like things that just aren't right. I could handle it if it was on the side of the bed you don't see when you walk into the room. But since that's my side of the bed, I don't want to see how out of place it looks every time I step into the room. Instead, I have quite an intricate process for getting into bed. What I do is pull back the covers because if I don't and land on top of them, it's really hard to get them out from under me! I know you know what I'm talking about if you've ever accidentally gotten in on top of your flat sheet. You just have to get back out and start over. Anyway, after pulling back the covers, I sort of thrust myself up on it and quickly roll to my back so I don't just roll right back out! Can you picture it? Probably not a pretty sight! At least it works! For now. I don't know how many "thrusting" days I have left! Remember, I'm not as bouncy as I used to be!



2 comments:

  1. The room looks bright lighter with the new furniture. I did smile at your description of how you get into bed, I'm only 5' 1" so I would be exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I liked the previous traditional look, but am on board with the lighter brighter take too. With the newer mattresses being so much thicker, I am glad that they have now come out with low profile box springs. Of course, I only learned that after I ended up with an extra tall set in our second guest room.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.