Thursday, July 15, 2021

The Family Room Makeover

Finally---it's all complete! Well, just about all of it. I'm still waiting on a couple pillows and the new family portrait. But other than that, the room is finished! 

Before:
It wasn't that I didn't like the room like this. It was more that we were ready for a change. We wanted to lighten everything up from the paint colors to the new furniture.
Speaking of the paint color, I've had this same color for 26 years. I've never gotten tired of it---and it's been re-painted 3 times--always the same color. We finally changed it in our effort to go lighter. We love it! I guess it was about time!

After:
This picture still shows the old recliner (and lampshade) but I managed to leave out half of the room in the photo below, so that's why I included it.
We've achieved our goal! We replaced the ceiling fan--which we hardly ever used-- to a more modern fixture. Gone is the dark leather furniture and clunky recliner. 
You have to imagine the portrait above the fireplace. Christy, my designer friend who handled all the work, painting, chair re-covering and drapes, wanted us to put the television over the fireplace, as is the style now. I'm not fond of that look. The fireplace and what's above it is the focal point of the room. I don't want the tv to be the focal point.

Before:
After:
Gone is my antique mirror collection. But, it might turn up somewhere else. I have an idea for some of them. There are still a couple pillows to come.

Now for a few of the details:
The chair before.
The chair--after. I decided that the dark wood didn't play really well with all of that white. Soooo, there's always a solution!
A simple throw toned down the dark wood. Plus, I added a new/retro magazine rack. I did have to move my needlepoint pillow (shown in the first picture) as it didn't really go anymore. I have a place for it upstairs.
Even changing out the coffee table seemed right for a fresh look. 

This table screams, "an OLD person lives here!" I want things at my fingertips. So, I came up with a better solution.
I was able to put all of that crap behind a door while at the same time, keeping it all handy. Still, I have to admit, it doesn't take long for the top to become cluttered. At least it's better than before.
Butch had the idea to have a pillow made with the leftover chair fabric. I bought some fun trim and my friend, Karolyn agreed to make it for me. It turned out exactly as I'd envisioned! 
The trim has mother of pearl buttons on it. I just love it. Kind of a nice way to tie the fabric to the rest of the room. I'll be treating Karolyn to lunch real soon! 

So there you have it. Another decorating project completed. Next, we're moving upstairs. I'm not exactly sure when that's going to begin. I told Christy that it either has to be finished before Christmas or not started until after Christmas. We're doing a renovation of both bathrooms, redecorating both bedrooms, new carpeting in 3 rooms and some new furniture for the guest room. I'm planning a country French farmhouse vibe in one of the guest rooms and bath. That's where my antique mirrors will come in to play. At least what I see in my head seems pretty awesome. We'll see...if it doesn't work, it won't be like I wasted any money!

What re-decorating projects are you planning?


1 comment:

  1. It all looks wonderful, you must be thrilled with how it's turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.