Sunday, March 24, 2024

Something for Sunday

I've already mentioned how I am divesting myself of my teapot collection. I'm inviting the granddaughters of my friends over for tea. 


This time I invited my friend Nancy, her daughter, Leigh and granddaughter, LaRue. Except for Nancy and me, the girls were "dressed to the nines!" La Rue had on the cutest little blue dress with a matching fascinator.


When they arrived, we started in the kitchen. I like to teach the girls how to make a proper pot of tea---with loose tea---no bags for me! Also, I like to teach them how to make sure that they have the lid on properly so it doesn't fall off and break when you are pouring. 

On this day, we brewed a pot of my Jubilee tea from the Queens Platinum Jubilee in the Fortnum & Mason aqua teapot. The other is the Coronation teapot from King Charles III's Coronation. I bought that when we were in London last fall. Mindy had given me the special Coronation tea---which is what we brewed in that pot.

We moved in to the family room where I had set the tea table. LaRue immediately plopped her water bottle on the table. I said, "What's this?" Thinking she wasn't going to drink tea. I made a bid deal about it being on the tea table. She said, "But, I have to stay hydrated!" Did I mention the she's only 5? That cracked me up! 

I taught her how to pour tea using the strainer. I have to admit, since we were using my favorite teapots, I was a little nervous that she couldn't handle it. But, she did. 

Also, the china you see here is from my adopted grandma, Lorena Pierson. She was a 90 year old that didn't have any family. I befriended her to help her with paying bills, cleaning out her "not-quite-hoarder-like" house, taking her to doctor appointments and hair appointments. She loved to go shopping too. When the time came for her to go to a nursing home, I sold her house and all of her stuff for her. Some of my woman's club friends helped me with the garage sale where I tried to sell her china. I had a high price on it for a garage sale--$400 because I was just not going to let it go for less. I ended up buying it myself! I was able to make a deal for her that by donating all the money she had, she could have a private room in a Church of Christ nursing home--that was her religion--for the rest of her life. That all worked out great. As it turns out,  (my) Elizabeth has requested this china. That makes me happy! It really is pretty and has a kazillion pieces to it.

Okay, back to the tea party. We had a great time chatting, laughing and enjoying some tea foods.
I showed LaRue how you explain everything on the tea tray to your guests just like in a tearoom. Starting on the bottom, you have the savory things---here, chicken salad and pimento cheese sandwiches. The next tray are cakes and scones--I added the strawberries. Dip them in chocolate and they would go on the top with the sweets. Our top had frosted sugar cookies and chocolates (I think--I've already forgotten) on the other side. The only thing missing was the Devonshire cream. The only place in town that sold it was The Fresh Market. They are not carrying it anymore. I bought Creme Fraiche instead. It worked with the scones, but not nearly as good as the cream. I could be happy with only the scones. These were blueberry, but cranberry are my favorite.

You can see the present I had for LaRue in the first tea picture. That's how I unload a teapot!! I like to put it on the bottom shelf of the table so they have to look at it for a long time and wonder if it's for them! I believe in torturing little kids! Not really. I love little kids!

I still have two parties to go where I'll be able to pass on 4 more teapots. 

I have a whole house full of stuff. Now, if I can only figure out how to get rid of it in a fun way!







1 comment:

  1. What a lovely story - those children are so lucky! I'm pleased you took time to show them how to make tea in a pot properly - did you remember to warm it first before you put the tea leaves in? I'm sure you did!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.