Thursday, March 21, 2019

Some Things We Are Just Not Meant to do Together!

Butch and I have been having a lot of fun with our B & B days. Lately, we haven't done anything unusual. Sometimes, those days just include running errands. But one thing we NEVER do together is grocery shop. And we shouldn't. What were we thinking?

I'm pretty sure the last time we went to the grocery store together was at least 5 years ago. Considering I thought our dishwasher was about 7 years old and it turned out to be 15 years old, that means that it has probably been more like 13 years since we grocery shopped together. (This estimate is based on the math!)

A while back---like years, I recall posting about our "little tiff" in the pickle aisle. I couldn't find it, but you might recall, I wanted to get the petite kosher dills and Butch wanted to get the regular ones because they were cheaper. I said, "I like the tiny ones better." He said, "You could just eat one big one rather than 4 baby ones."  It went back and forth and I finally said, "Come on Butch, I think we can afford the petite baby dills."

Well, that was the last time we shopped together---until---Monday!

We were out running errands together. I needed a few things for a new recipe--sharing that at the end of this post. The recipe is called Spicy Siracha Chicken Ramen Noodles. Now let me preface this by saying that I have bought Siracha sauce two other times in our life and gave it away. I only have one recipe that calls for it and I've only made that recipe twice (Sandy's Bang Bang Shrimp). It's a big bottle and we just don't use it that much---like maybe once every two years.

Anyway, they only sell one size bottle. It was $3.39. (Now right about here, I'm going to depart from how I usually do our conversations just to prove to you that I do actually know how you are supposed to write conversations properly).

Butch said, "That's ridiculous! We'll end up just throwing it away. Let's just borrow some from Stephanie and Nicky."

I said, "No, we're not going to drive all the way over there for that."

He said, "Then let's just leave it out."

I said, "We can't---Siracha is in the name!"

I proceeded to put the bottle in the cart. We moved on to the chicken. I needed a pound and had planned to get two boneless breasts. Then, instead I decided to pick up the frozen tenderloins.

He said, "Well great! I had a digital coupon for that! I didn't download it because you said you were getting the breasts."

I conceded and said, "Okay, let me get the breasts."

Now we're on to checking out. I picked up a couple bags of Easter candy since Evie and Josie are going to be here. I always like to have little treats for kids. Everyone knows that candy is expensive. What I got was actually on sale---2 bags for $7.00. Butch wasn't thrilled.

He said, "There can't be 50 pieces in the two bags!" He's probably right---no argument from me!

After that I said, "You know, we just can't grocery shop together." He agreed.

On the way home, I suggested that we stop at Trader Joe's since I've never been there. He said, "No! We've already spent enough on groceries!"

I said, "Yeah, you're right---$80.00!"

When it was time to cook supper, Butch was helping me (I love that he does that now). I said, "You'll be happy to know that the Siracha Sauce can last in the refrigerator for two years!"

He said, "Okay, good. We can throw it away then!"

Like I said, we are just not meant to grocery shop together! I guess I shouldn't complain about this one little thing. He does most of the grocery shopping anyway.That's another thing I actually love that about him. I hate grocery shopping. I have no illusions as to why he's so willing to do it. He says I'm an impulse shopper. He's right. I freely admit it. But I have doing much better since I've gotten my multiples problem under control.

Stephanie and Nicky came over for dinner on Tuesday night. We put steaks on the grill. I made an innocent little comment about how I was surprised that there wasn't any steak sauce in the refrigerator.

Butch said, "Just pull out one of the 4 bottles you have in the pantry!"

Guilty! But in all fairness to me, Connie gave me a bottle or two.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Now for the recipe. Butch thought it was just okay and said he'd be fine if I never made it again. On the other hand, I sort of loved it! I say that because it was so darn hot (damn that Siracha sauce!), that I couldn't really enjoy it. I'd like to try it again.

Spicy Siracha Chicken Ramen Noodles
1 lb. raw chicken, cut in to bite size pieces
1 T. oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2-3 T. Siracha (I used 1.5T and that was way too much--especially when you consider there is only 1/2 cup of liquid---next time, I'm going to cut it back to a half tablespoon--you can always add more).
2 pkgs. ramen noodles (any flavor)
1/3 cup cocktail peanuts (I'm increasing this to 1/2 cup---I felt like there needed to be more).
green onions, sliced (I'm going to skip this garnish step---it didn't really matter).

Cook the noodles as directed---discarding the seasoning packets. Drain and set aside. Heat oil and add chicken until lightly browned and cooked. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in noodles. Garnish with onions.

If you make it, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. That is funny! I prefer to do my weekly shop on my own as it takes much longer when Paul comes with me. He likes to browse more aisles than me, I have a list and I'm on a mission to get everything on that list and come home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.