Monday, March 18, 2019

Monday Mystery

Okay, it's all in the news about the college app scandal. I really don't get it. Even if you cheat to get your kid in, they do have to perform to stay, don't they? Seems like they would be found out soon enough with that spot opening up again. I remember a guidance counselor telling me that you can get in the school of your choice the SECOND year---as those that didn't make it are out, while you've had the opportunity to do great hour first year somewhere else. Sounds good.

But then, it hit me. This has been going on for probably a very long time. In fact, I think my own parents could have been guilty of this.

After taking the entrance test to get in to our local Catholic high school---Rosary---no one was more surprised than me to be placed on the prestigious, "A" track. Really, me? Very mysterious! I got good grades---mostly "A's" but I was no genius. And you know my math skills. Nothing stellar.

Even my parents seemed surprised, so I guess they didn't have anything to do with it after all. Besides, with 7 kids, they were too busy worrying about how to get everyone new school shoes to round out our shoe wardrobe of exactly three pairs---play shoes which doubled as your athletic shoes for whatever sport you played, church shoes and school shoes. There just was nothing extra for bribes! Thank goodness.

Whew! Scandal avoided!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your take on it. I hadn't really thought about the fact that many of those buying their way in wouldn't make it in the long run. I was too focused on how they are cheating someone else out of a spot - someone who wants to do their best and are not there just to have the networking opportunities with the rich and famous. Hopefully those there under false pretenses will be influenced by some with better values than their parents have displayed. Someone once told me that it might be who you know that gets you a job, but it will be what you know that keeps it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.