Monday, September 25, 2023

Monday Mystery

This is an unusual mystery. 

When we are in England, I always marvel at the beautiful flower boxes everywhere--especially outside of the pubs. I tried to find out whether there was some significance to the flowers and pubs, but found no explanation. So, despite my obsession with understanding and knowing everything, I have to just accept that the mystery of flowers and pubs will just, well, remain a mystery. 

This one--the Churchill Arms is known for its beautiful display. We went just to take a picture.
It was much too early to stop in for a pint. We had quite a discussion about this pub regarding the flowers and watering them. We got up close and was able to see that there's an irrigation system in place. There would have to be to keep it all looking so pretty.

Most pubs are not quite so elaborate with the flowers, but still so pretty.
One night, we went to Hoop & Grapes for dinner. It's the oldest pub in London. Another thing, I LOVE all the unusual names of the pubs. Next time I go, I'm going to focus on those. Anyway, in these pretty flower boxes, something caught my eye.
Do you see it? I guess I should call this post "The Mystery of the Hoop and Grapes." Doesn't that sound just like something Agatha Christie would come up with? Anyway, back to the Hoop and Grapes and this window box. There's a lemon down in amongst the flowers. I didn't touch it, but I'm pretty sure it's a fake lemon. It looked waxy to me. I have no idea what it means. Was someone walking by with fake fruit and accidentally dropped it in the flower box? Was it placed there on purpose? Did it drop from above? 

I guess I will never know. A forever mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.