Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The Workshop

Well, I've definitely been tearing up the road between Nashville and St. Louis lately. More on Aunt Marie's move later. I have more trips to make, but in the meantime, I managed to get back so I could do the needlepoint workshop I signed up for over 6 months ago. I've been really looking forward to it.

The class was to start at 10 a.m. on Friday. I arrived about 9:40, only to find that most people were already there. Dang! I wanted to stake out a spot in a corner. As it turned out, we had assigned seats this time. I had the corner of a table which is what I would want anyway. The problem is that---just like scrapbooking, people bring everything they own!!

The gal at the end of the table. brought her floor stand AND her lap stand--both of which are huge and  take up a ton of room. As for me, I brought basic supplies which fit in a moderate size tote bag--which I then put on the floor under my chair! I never bring my stands--they are too heavy and cumbersome. We're sitting at a table anyway, so you can use the edge as a stand. Works perfect. The problem is that the gal on the end who brought all that stuff, crowded me out! I did not have enough space to even have my stitch guide fully on the table---4 inches hung off the edge. Part of the reason is all the "stuff" we got---she thought she needed to have on the table. You don't. I just keep on the table what I need right then. The teacher will always say, "get out, such and such" and allow plenty of time to do it. I finally asked her if she could move her gigantic bag that holds our stitching---which you don't even need until you are ready to leave---so that I could have my book on the table! She obliged, but it didn't take long for her to encroach upon me again. Every time she got up, I "scooched" her stuff over again. By the second day, she moved to the other table altogether! Halleluiah!

And, of course, I brought my Starbucks tea with a lid on top. Still, I NEVER have it on the table where there could be any chance that it might get tipped. As it was, someone else managed to knock it off of the table I did have it on---behind me in the corner where no one was sitting. What the heck she was doing there I'll never know. Luckily, the lid stayed on.

Here is what awaited us at the table:
 My heart started to pitter patter! It's about 12x14 stuffed full of supplies.
 OMGosh! The beads!! Good think I enjoy beading---many don't. I learned another fun technique that I can't wait to try. (The whole reason I like classes---learning new ways of doing things).
We also were given a large zippered bag to protect the project. This is what my tablemate kept on the table!
The project is called "Red Bird Santa." I loved this additional touch---the cardinal needle holder. It's a magnet and is huge! I know I've paid for all of it in my class fee, but it's still fun to have surprises. The shop owner is no dummy! Just another way to increase her sales. This is not anything I would have bought as I have many needle magnets, but I sure liked getting it!
The very first thing I do is take inventory of all the fibers to make sure everything is there. I had to do that when I got home as there is no time during class to do it. I prefer floss bags to hold each fiber individually by color. That makes it so much easier finding what you need.

There are aways tools that you need to buy. Actually, I only bought this one.
 It's called a bunka brush for roughing up fibers.


 Here's the before. I did a stitch called "encroaching Gobelin" on the cuff. You have to do this first.
 Then you brush the heck out of it with the bunka brush so it gets nice and fuzzy. It feels like fur.
 We did that on the brim of the hat too. Pay attention to the green that is not stitched above the eyes. We completely re-did that section to give Santa eyebrows.
This is what it will look like when I've finished. I definitely like that better. I'm not one to alter the canvas---that's another good thing about taking classes. You get the expertise of the experts!
The detail is incredible. See that tiny cardinal? It's about an inch and a half long. This is why the project is called "red bird Santa." Yeah, I don't really get it either.
 We started the basket in class to learn the technique. Each fiber has to be laid---for which, you guessed it---there's a tool. I used to have a laying tool years ago, but it's disappeared. I just use my fingers and they work fine. The purists will scoff at this due to the oils in your skin that may transfer to your work. I'll be long gone before that is an issue with my needlepoint.
Another unclose shot of the tree which is mostly beaded. Unbelievable. The snowflakes are beaded too.
We blacked out the original package since Susan had a better idea.
I got the first row of "turkey work" that you can see on the tassel. It's kind of a loopy thing until you cut it. You can see the completed tassel below.
One last reminder of the finished project. It's just stunning. Oh, we made all the cording too---wrapped around the tassel and the one hung with the beaded ornaments. There's a tool for that too. I've managed to get by without it as I just try to get it done during the class. It's not something I would use enough to pay $20 for.

This is the second workshop I've taken. I really like doing them. They are so much fun. You meet a lot of nice people from all over. There were 32 people (maximum they can take) in this one over the course of 4 days--16 in each 2-day class. I'm surprised at the number of people who come from out-of-town and spend money staying in hotels, gas and eating out. That makes the workshop cost more like a week long vacation for only two days! A couple even flew from Montana!!They did plan to stay a few extra days to explore Nashville.

We had barely started class when Susan unveiled what she is gong to be teaching next year.
I'm signed up. Anybody want to join me? You can even stay at my house!


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I have never seen such intricate needlepoint - it is absolutely beautiful. And no wonder you signed up for next year's project too. What a talent you have!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.