Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Update

I didn't have any Monday Mysteries.

I didn't have any Tuesday Thoughts.

I could have posted about my trip to St. Louis last week on Travel Tuesday, but I didn't.

I didn't buy anything last week, so no "What I Buy Wednesday" post.

So I guess you'll just have to settle for "A Few Things Thursday!"

I think I'll make this post about food. 

Let's start with my Mother's Day present from Mindy.
 I love peanut butter and have it at least twice a week. Awhile back we were talking about it and about almond butter---which I've never had. So, Mindy gave the pecan butter (along with some jams) for Mother's Day. It's really good. Mindy thinks it tastes like pecan pie. I don't exactly get that, but it's close.
 Speaking of Mindy. We had a barbecue on Memorial Day. Mindy brought this amazing trifle. Not only did it look good, it tasted fantastic! She shared the recipe.

Mindy's Red, White and Blueberry Trifle

10 oz angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes*
2 pints strawberries, sliced
2 pints blueberries

FOR THE CREAM FILLING:

  • 6 tbsp fat-free sweetened condensed milkI used Borden Eagle
  • 1 1/2 cups cold water
  • 1 4 oz package white chocolate or cheesecake instant pudding mix
  • 12 oz.Cool Whip

  • INSTRUCTIONS

  • Whisk the condensed milk and water in a bowl.
  • Whisk in the pudding mix for 2 minutes.
  • Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set; fold in the whipped topping.
  • Arrange half of the cake in the bottom of a 14-cup trifle dish.
  • Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries.
  • Spread half of the cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread 
  • Top with a layer of strawberries.
  • Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then add more blueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture.
  • Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a pretty pattern.
  • Cover and refrigerate at least one 1 hour.
    So yummy--Mindy used the white chocolate pudding.

    Stephanie brought the salad. It was another winner. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture.

    Orange, Beet and Arugula Salad
    4 small uncooked beets (Steph just bought them already cooked from he grocery store salad bar.
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup shallots, chopped
    2 T olive oil
    1 T. red wine vinegar
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    Mix the dressing and chill

    5 oz. arugula
    2 medium oranges peeled

    If you prefer to cook the beets yourself, go ahead. Toss all ingredients together and serve. You could use any type of greens.

    Tuesday night, we had book club. Diane, our British member and friend was back in town. Knowing the tea lover that I am, she brought me this.
  •  She told me that Rington's tea is very popular in England. It's sold off of a truck that comes around once a week. That reminded me of the Jewel T man that came by weekly with his truck of goodies---from coffee and cookies to snacks. It was fun to see what he had. I'm looking forward to trying this tea and am grateful that Diane thought of me!

    I mentioned on a previous post that Stephanie gave me a tea subscription for Mother's Day. Well, I got my first box yesterday.

    Getting subscription boxes in the mail is always fun! This one was full of goodies. Plus, I loved the personalized message. I got quite a variety of tea too.
    There was this little glaze bag. I was surprised to find disposable tea bags inside. I prefer loose tea, so these little bags are the way to brew. I have never seen them before. They'll be fun to try too.

    We leave for London in 3 weeks. With all this tea I've received, I guess I won't be buying tea in London this trip. On the other hand, I don't think I can go to London, visit Twinings, have tea at Fornum and Mason---and---NOT buy tea. I'm sure I will!

    Heading to Charlotte tomorrow for Victoria's graduation. This will be a quick trip. We're flying in Friday morning and flying out Saturday morning! Then back next week for Elizabeth's graduation. A lot going on. A. Lot!


    1 comment:

    1. Do you know, I have never heard of Ringtons Tea! I had to google it - seems like it is based in the north of England - is it good? Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you've got many afternoon teas lined up!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.