Thursday, May 16, 2019

Friday Frustration on Thursday.

I bought myself a new Fitbit---which I can't get set up since the website is not recognizing my account.

The first thing you're to do out of the box is to charge it up. Did it. Now you have to visit the website to register the device. Notice how everything is called a "device" these days?

I went to the website---which I've done dozens of times since I got my first Fitbit years ago. I know it's the correct username and password. My computer remembers it for one thing. I have it written down for another. And to solidify that it's the correct username and password, I checked among the secret list stored deeply on my computer of such things. It is all correct!! So darn frustrating!

Sooo, I decided to try setting up a new account. Well, that was a "no go" since the website recognized my email address. I got that frustrating message---that there is already an account associated with this email address.

My next option was to try to change the password. Other than the nuisance of having to change it everywhere, changing the password is usually a pretty simple process. You click on "change password" put in your email address and they send you a link. Welllll, I never got the link. I did it again. Still no link. I tried a third time---still not working.

Now I'm wondering---maybe the website is just messed up and that's why I had so much trouble with my old Fitbit.  I couldn't get it to sync properly, nor could I set the time correctly. It was pretty old, so that's why I decided on a new one. I don't like that I have to wear it like a watch. It's not particularly attractive. Plus, you have to make sure you are swinging your arms to get it to register. I get that it does other stuff,  like moniter your heart, but I don't care about that. I just want it to register my steps.  And, I want credit for ALL of them! It is a motivator for me. Plus, I really like to know how far I've walked on trips. It's crucial that I get this thing up and running.

My only option at this point was to call Fitbit. I did. As most customer service people do, they treat you like an idiot---"are you sure you have the correct username and password?" "Have you checked your spam folder?" "Did you remember to turn on your computer?" You get the picture.

I patiently answered all the questions. Then, she put me on hold (of course). When she came back on the line, she said she was going to send my "case" to the email department. Oh, great, here we go. Now I'm going to be lost in an endless loop of people that can't help me. Turns out, I was wrong about that. The customer service rep said that someone was going to contact me. That was 3 days ago. Still no contact. Now what?

Honestly, I really don't know what to do at this point. I guess I'll have to call back. I'm already committed with this thing as I've ordered a cute band for it. Plus, I've gotten rid of the old Fitbit. There's no turning back.

This is so darn frustrating. So darn!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried logging in with "incognito mode"? Sometimes its a mess up with your cache (cookies, etc.) and incognito mode ignores all that. From Chrome, click on the three little dots in the upper left corner and choose "new incognito window" - then browse to the fitbit site and log in with your credentials. If you don't use Chrome, see if they have an incognito/privacy window in your browser of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave my Fitbit to my daughter because of other issues. I need to upgrade my phone too, but this post is a reminder as to why I am not in a hurry to to do that. Transitions are never as easy as advertised, are they?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.