Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...Super Glue. 

I'm thinking I should never, ever, ever use Super Glue again. I need to leave it to the  resident Super Glue expert around here. I got myself into a sticky situation on Sunday night. Here's what happened.

I finished the caboose to my needlepoint Easter train---right on time, I might add. I gave myself a month to do each of the 3 cars. This was the last---I start my next project at a workshop next Friday and am very excited about it. 

Anyway, I went to Super Glue the pom poms on the beaded wheels. The glue wouldn't squeeze out. It seemed the tip was clogged. I decided to give it one last hard press before getting the scissors. OH! MY! GOSH! y'all, it gushed out in a burst for which I was not prepared. It squirted on me, the quartz counter and my needlework. I ran to the sink to grab the dishcloth. I'm not really sure what I should have done, but that's what I did. Not a good idea. I ended up smearing the glue and glued the dishcloth to the counter. Who knew wet things could be super glued? They can. I managed to pull the dishcloth off before it was stuck permanently, but there was still a problem. The gray fibers of the cloth stuck to the counter. Before I could figure out what to do about that, I had the dishcloth stuck to ME! I swear, I thought I was in an "I Love Lucy" episode! 

I ran the dishcloth and my hand under hot water. That did absolutely nothing. I decided I just needed to "pull off the proverbial bandaid" well aware that I might pull skin with it. It hurt, but no skin was broken. Whew! When I pulled the dishcloth off of my hand, I noticed two things. 1. It left grey fibers stuck to me, and 2. The skin between the joints of two fingers was stuck together. I could not straighten my fingers. I pulled the skin apart and that really hurt. I was certain it would bleed, but it didn't. I guess skin is tougher than I thought. Somehow I managed to get glue on the other hand too. What a mess.

Then I went back to work on the counter. I scraped the glue and fibers off as best as I could with my fingernails. My fingernails were already a mess from the glue and really hard! They made a handy  and strong tool. I got most of the washcloth fibers off, but there is definitely some residue.
I'll look into ways to remove it when I get back from St. Louis this week. 

Once I got myself "unstuck", I went back to the task at hand--glueing the pom poms. I was so careful this time and then, that's when it happened. I accidentally glued a pom pom to my finger. I pulled it off only to now have yellow fuzz left behind. Are you kidding me?
I finally got the pom poms glued on. But still, you can see the glue that splurted on the needlework. 
 It's not too bad, but you can definitely see it. I could have the finisher hide it, but I think I'll leave it as a cautionary tale. Beware of Super Glue! It could have been so much worse! As it was, there were only a few annoying consequences and one good one. My manicure was ruined and my phone and iPad do not recognize my thumbprint in order to unlock them.

The good consequence?? When I was putting my moisturizer on, I realized that my fingers were the perfect exfoliators---although it did hurt a little. Okay, a lot! Still, that's me making lemonade!




3 comments:

  1. Oh Barbara, this story has really made me laugh! I can just imagine it, straight out of a tv comedy, the more things you touched, more things got stuck together. I don't know the answer to removing super glue, you'd think they'd sell a remover wouldn't you - although I guess the idea of super glue is that it will stick to anything/everything forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, the good news is that the skin on your hands will eventually recover, I hope you have as much luck with the countertop. I am sure that the Internet has helpful answers out there, just be careful employing them. On a happier not that needlework piece is delightful, I hope you'll show us the full project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.