Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Travel Tuesday

Well, I need to devote an entire post to just this one place. On our way to St. Louis last week, we stopped at The Apple Valley Hillbilly Garden just outside of Paducah. After 34 years of traveling back and forth to St. Louis, we had no idea this place was there. It's fascinating and so is the owner. We spent about an hour roaming around and listening to his stories about each piece of art---all made out of junk and trash. Each display is based on a pun. You'll have to try to figure them out for yourself because now I can't remember a single one!

 There are also a couple buildings that house a massive toy collection.














 This is the guy that owns the place. He had many stories to tell and was quite a character! He talked so fast, it was hard to keep up.



 I had this dollhouse when I was growing up.



 I think this was called a graveyard of lost soles.



 Besides the art, there were animals roaming around--odd looking chickens and roosters. There were goats too.






 








 There were quite a few unusual fountains.










It all look like nothing but junk, but it was really artfully displayed---very creative and fun to look at. The owner told us that the neighbors had taken him to court several times, but he always won! It was a fascinating place. Everywhere you looked was something else unusual. The guy really is creative. We'll definitely go back.

My blogging is going to be rather sporadic for the next few weeks. Remember when I said we had vowed to travel more? Well, we have been, but then another situation has arisen. I'll be spending quite a bit of time in St. Louis as I have an aunt and uncle that really need some help. They are in the process of moving---and at 86 and 83, it's no small task. They are hiring people to handle it. That's not what I'm there for. I'm there to give my uncle a chance to take care of all the business involved with the move as I spend time with my aunt. She's not happy to be moving from her beautiful home and is becoming more and more confused. I'm just there to console her and keep her company. She has good days and bad days. I've witnessed the worst, the best and then the middle. She's happy when I'm there, so I'm glad to be able to do it. And, I'm pretty lucky to have such a supportive husband. Good thing he doesn't care about food!!

2 comments:

  1. That really is an unusual place, some of the 'artworks' are a bit creepy, I can imagine why he may not always be popular with his neighbours!
    Sorry to hear that your next trip to St Louis is not a happy-go-lucky trip, but I can imagine that your uncle will be so happy to have you there to keep an eye on your aunt while he deals with the move. I hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That place looks like fun I think, I am not sure I could get my husband to agree. I saw the sewing machines in the ground in your next post and will be wracking my brain to figure out that pun.

    It is good that you can be with your aunt and uncle during this time of transition. It is more difficult for some than for others to acclimate to a new place, and women often mourn the loss of their homes deeply. Hopefully they see the safety and other benefits of the move quickly. I will say a prayer for them both, and hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.