Thursday, April 4, 2019

Let's Take a Stroll...

...through my garden. It's spring and things are happenin'! It's an exciting time.
 Let's start with the ornamental cherry.
 Every year, it puts on quite a show. This one is at the top of the driveway---nice greeting as you pull in.
 Entering the shade garden. The ostrich ferns are plentiful. They are so easy and look so nice. They will completely fill up this area.
This is the long view as you go under the arbor. I always had visions of sitting here with a cup of tea and reading. In actuality, I only did it once---about 20 years ago. This time of year would be the time to do it. It won't be long until the mosquitoes take over.
 Virginia bluebells.
The bluebells up close.
Next to the ostrich ferns, Japanese painted ferns are my favorite. Actually, it might be a tie between them and maidenhair ferns.
I put this 5 leaf akebia in the first spring we were here---23 years ago. I've never seen the blooms---either it has a very short blooming period, or I have a male plant. Same with the climbing white hydrangea that I've had for about 20 years. It's lush and full, but has never bloomed.
 Epimedium--bishop's hat. It's a delicate little thing.
 It's called bishop's hat due to its little square, four-cornered appearance, just like a bishop's hat.
 The bed behind the pool looks pretty bare so far.
 The ajuga---bugleweed was here when we moved in--24 years ago---can't believe it's been that long. At one time it was all the way to the brick. I think it's just tired.

In the back is another type of bugleweed. The flowers are smaller. The pinks in front are creeping phlox. They have been transplanted from thinning out the front beds and have spread out pretty well. They will eventually drape over the wall. The front looked amazing for several years---until, my lawn guy weed eated all that draped over the brick. It's taking a long time to grow back.
The fish have started to come out of their winter sleep. I don't think we lost any this year. Now that's not to say we won't have a problem with the blue Herons. Click on that if you want to refresh your memory about what happened in 2011. The pond hasn't been cleaned out for the season yet.
 The lilacs on the side of the driveway are looking pretty weak, but they still smell good. I think everything needs some major fertilizing.
And then there's the surprise in the grass. I think wild violets were the very first flowers I noticed as a kid. I remember loving them and picking tiny bouquets. I still do love them--although I don't pick them anymore--much too tedious. A lot of people think of them as a nuisance. Not me. I love that little flash of color. In fact, about the only time I like purple is in the garden!

What's happening in your garden?

 Off to NOLA today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.