Wednesday, December 2, 2020

What's Goin' On??

Thinking: about how our holiday season is going to be so different this year. We've done some decorating, but not like we usually do. My heart's just not in it if there isn't going to be anyone around to enjoy it with us! We do have a few more things we want to do--like put up the tree. We might just use the one we usually put in the living room and put it in the family room--especially since the live trees (which I love) seemed to be all picked over.


Thankful: that we're both healthy and hope to stay that way. Thus, the different holiday season. It's just one year. It's going to be okay!


Cooking: Butch has already made a double batch of Chex mix. He's going to make another to share with the fam. I'm going to do a little baking too. Maybe some cookies for the grands!


Wearing: lots of sweaters. It's freezing in this house--yet it's 74 in here! My nose is constantly cold! Too many windows!


Working: on some Christmas needlepoint. I love doing holiday things during the actual holidays. The girls and I are in the midst of our gingerbread houses. Stephanie has forged ahead on her own and accomplished quite a lot. She's just about finished everything she knows how to do. The next time we get together for the next lessons will be sometime in January.


Reading: Well, where do I begin! I don't think there has ever been a year where I gave five stars to so many books. I'm pretty stingy with my stars/ratings. The book has to really move me in a profound way. Soooo, if you haven't read Caste by Isabel Wilkerson, I would highly recommend it. Many people in our book club did not like it. I definitely didn't like the subject matter, but I think it's an important book. I learned so much! Very eye-opening. Exactly the sort of book that warrants 5 stars or a 10 in book club. I'm the only one who rated it that high. I can't even think of another book I've rated a 10 in all these years (maybe Pillars of the Earth). Another 5 star--more for fun is Lying Next to Me by Gregg Olsen. He's become one of my newest favorite authors. All of his books are exciting. If you need more ideas, just let me know.


Watching: So many things. The Undoing on HBO--recommended by Nicky and Steph--so good. I love Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman. So many surprises. Holidate on Netflix--don't waste your time. The Christmas Chronicles 1 & 2--both good, fun holiday movies--and who doesn't love Kurt Russell? The Crown--I don't really need to say more. Just watch it. Big Sky on regular tv. Butch has already said "no" to this one. I'm going to give it another episode or two. I don't really like things that play in to every parent's worse fears about their kids. This might be too much for me. I'm just interested now in how they are going to bring back a major character that they killed off in the very first episode. I'm sure it's going to be a twin brother or something hokey like that. We'll see.


Bumming: about the loss of the neighbors trees--again. Turns out they are putting in a pool and a line of trees. The trees were planted yesterday. It's going to be awhile before they are big enough to provide the screening I want. Still not sure why they took out the ones that were there. Anyway, we're moving forward with plans of our own. 


Hearing: some Christmas music to kick off the season. I've already watched/listened to Disney's Magical Holiday with my boy, Derek Hough and his sister Julianne. Then there's the Disney Sing-along, the Country Christmas Show--so many fun things. I haven't watched them all yet. 


Planning: another decorating project. Stephanie and Nicky have just bought an investment property. They have put us in charge of getting it ready for their tenant. They didn't give us a budget, but we won't go crazy. We know how to do some inexpensive things to really make it nice. We love that challenge! And, I love everything about decorating! Thanks to friends who have donated some things--that's really been helpful--especially those appliances! The place is old, but nice. It hasn't been up dated since it was built in the early 70's. We're working with it and I'm excited about that.


Needing: to get to the beach to check on our own remodeling project. We were supposed to go this week to meet the refrigerator delivery. We were able to get our "guy" to do it since he's there working. Still, we have quite a bit to haul. I think it's going to take two trips. Butch says we'll rent a U-Haul if we need to. But with our car top carrier, he doesn't think we'll have to. I'm hoping everything will be done and we can go right after Christmas to put it all back together. Makes me a little nervous to not be able to check on things. I hope there have been no miscommunications!


Taking: the new coffee maker back. I bought it for my tea, but it stinks! Yes, stinks! It has a terrible smell of plastic. You can smell it when you walk in the house. It permeates my tea and is disgusting. The instructions said to run it through with plain water one time to get rid of it. I've probably used it 20 times! I bought it through Amazon. I wanted white--you know, I have that thing about white--and am willing to pay extra for it! This was cheap--20 bucks. The only other white one I found was a Mr. Coffee--also for 20 bucks. Since it's for my tea, I didn't want it to say "coffee." I know, I'm being ridiculous. I'm funny that way. Having no other choice, I ordered it. Butch suggested that I put a sticker over the "coffee" part and call it anything I want. I probably won't bother. I'll get used to it. Oh, and did you know that if you need to return something from Amazon, all you have to do is print out the return label and take it to Kohl's and they'll handle it. No box of any sort is required. Just take the thing as is with the label. Couldn't be easier.


Creating: a surprise for the family. Thanks to Malinda (Connie's daughter) for the idea. I've got to work it out first. Not quite sure when we'll do it. We'll see.


Dreading: the "take down." For years now, whenever I've decorated for the holidays, as I'm doing it, I'm already dreading the "take down." At least this year, it will be less to deal with. That's the bight side!


What big plans do you have this holiday season? Or little plans?

3 comments:

  1. What a disappointment over the coffee/tea maker - back to the old fashioned method of kettle and tea pot!
    I can imagine the kind of things you are thinking about your neighbours taking down those trees! Do you think that the roots were going to cause problems with the new pool and they think itty-bitty new ones will be better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've gone all out with decorations this year because I decided it was the perfect time to go through EVERY Christmas box and will be relabeling them when we do the take down. It's been FUN - just a few little bits & pieces to go. I figure it's a good time because we have the time & we'll enjoy it even if no one else sees it in person. We're just happy to be healthy and thankful our extended family members who contracted Covid this year have all recovered & are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the trauma of losing those trees (let's hope the news one sprout fast), you sound creatively very busy with all those decorating ideas and projects for yourself and others. We don't put our tree up here till close to Christmas itself, but I have the advent candles on the table and an Advent wreath at the front door :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.