Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Garden Tour

A few days ago, I toured my friend, Karolyn's garden. I invited myself and then forgot about our date. When she called, I couldn't believe it. How embarrassing. I went over right then. Luckily she didn't mind that I was late.
 This is the main reason I invited myself. This is her climbing white hydrangea---it's only 7 years old and just about covers the entire wall of the garage.
 This is a close-up of the blooms. Very interesting. They are also deliciously fragrant.
Here's my climbing white hydrangea that is 15 years old and has never bloomed. I don't know why. I guess if it grew like Karolyn's it would be covering the windows. I just have to be satisfied with the foliage.
A variety of yellow day lilies---not Stella d'Oro---she has those out front and they are more gold. These are a real pretty lemon yellow.
Fountain surrounded by knock-out roses.

 Arbor looking on to the patio. 
These are some onions that she has growing along the driveway next to the garage. They are sort of curly and really add interest. She actually uses them in cooking.
 This is the last bloom on the honeysuckle or maybe the first.
 Tiger lilies

 Her oak-leaf hydrangeas are gorgeous too. Usually, I'm not too crazy about these because the foliage can be ugly. The foliage on these is very healthy.
 Scabiosa---pincushion flower. Karolyn said it bloomed all winter due to the mild weather.

 Stella d'Oro daylilies.
 Magnolia---I've forgotten the variety.

After the tour, we sat on the porch with a glass of wine, fruit and cheese and gabbed for awhile. I love gardens. I'm a pretty passionate person anyway, but gardens really move me. I've been known to shed a tear or two there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.