Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Travel Tuesday

By the time you are reading this, we are already at the beach. We came down yesterday to put our condo back together after the remodel. I'll have lots of pictures to share, but in the meantime, here are a few teasers:
Wainscoting on both sides of the long hallway. We wanted to lighten it up since this can tend to be dark. You can't tell very well, but the door is seafoam green. If you look close, you can see the bunk area reflected in the mirror on the left. We completely "shiplapped" that.
This is the glass arabesque tile that's in the hall bath. The side walls have a wavy glass--reminds me of the ocean.
I'm very excited about the kitchen. If you remember, I found the countertop and then tile at two different places. Yet, when I saw it, I knew it would be perfect together. The cabinet fronts are being re-done. And yes, I have my work cut out for me as I will be washing everything in every cabinet! I supposed I should have boxed it all up. What was I thinking. 

In the meantime, to make this more about traveling, 
Anyway, I thought I would post this "blast from the past." Our longest drive was from where I grew up in Spanish Lake (north St. Louis), MO. to Barnhart, MO--about an hour and a half from our house down Route 66! That was before highways. The cars were big. Our family was big. There were no seatbelts. 5 of us were in the backseat (we never had a station wagon). Dad drove with mom in the front seat, one kid in the middle (that was me since I was the oldest--it was a privilege that I got) and a baby on mom's lap. 

We managed to make it work. Well, we really had no choice. Dad would tell the kids in the back to lean to the right--meaning put your head on the shoulder of the kid on your right--and go to sleep. After they got restless, he'd tell them to lean to the left. 

Aside from going to "the country" we only went one other place with the whole family. That would be the Self's house. They were a large family too---8 of them---there were 9 of us. We alternated houses on Friday nights. Other than that, we never went anywhere with the whole family. When you have 7 kids, people don't invite you over. And that's the truth!!

That's it for now. I'll share the condo pictures once we're done.

1 comment:

  1. I do indeed remember travel without seat belts ... and sitting on my uncle's knee helping to steer on country roads! (What were they thinking?). Looking forward to seeing the revamp - and envying your ability to travel. Here, we are all locked down.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.