Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Tuesday Thoughts about....

...Camp Aunt Barb. 

Recently at one of our pool days, one of my friends, Pam, told us that she had started a camp for her grandkids, calling it Camp Jo Jo. She was telling me that they only wanted to do an activity for 10 minutes before they were ready to move on. She said that by the end of the weekend, she was totally exhausted!

Tell me about it!!! It's a lot of work---no doubt. I plan every minute of the day from the time they wake up until they go to bed. I include an hour in the afternoon for a little rest---mostly for me! Now that Evie and Travis can read, I post the schedule on the refrigerator. This was this year's itinerary:


Thursday
Arrive and hit the pool.
One hour rest
Head bandz game
Taco bar
Poker with Uncle Butch
Hot cookies and milk
Movie (Moana—I haven’t seen it, so I’m picking that) and bed

Friday
Pfunky Griddle for breakfast
Scavenger hunt
Pool (pool drinks and snacks)
One hour rest
Craft project 
Happy hour—charcuterie for dinner (meats, cheeses, crackers, vegetables, dips, fruit, olives--kid drinks)
Bingo with Uncle Butch
Popcorn 
Movie (boys pick) and bed

Saturday
Creme brûlée French toast 
Treasure Hunt 
Pool
Pizza at the pool
One hour rest
Rob your neighbor 
Hot dogs on the grill
Poker with Uncle Butch
Night swim
Hot fudge sundaes
Movie (girls pick) and bed

Sunday
On the road home!

We always have a good time, but it is exhausting---for sure. Side bonus for me is that I get extra time with Jeanne and Janet--even if we're working!

This year, I surprised the kids with tiny cards for poker. I ended up making those cards a game prize. Josie won them. I told her that when they all went on vacation, I wanted her to send me pictures of them playing with them. Of course, a month later, I completely forgot about it.

All of a sudden, I get these pictures from Jackie (Josie's mom). It made me so happy that they remembered to take the cards on vacation and then to get the pictures. Jeanne told me that Travis was worried that Josie would forget the cards. Even if she did, I'm pretty sure Evie would remind her---starting 3 days ahead!


When I got the pictures, I laughed out loud! What a nice surprise for me! Then a few days later, Jackie sent a couple more.

I texted Jackie and asked why they didn't switch to regular card as those little ones are really hard to shuffle. She said the kids insisted on using the tiny ones! That made me so happy! You just never know what silly little thing is going to make an impression on kids.

Another memory for them. That's what it's all about. They will always remember Camp Aunt Barb. I love it just as much as they do. I'll keep doing it as long as they want to come---or until their sports interfere---which will probably be sooner than I want!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.