Saturday, July 18, 2020

A Few New Recipes

Mindy shared a new recipe with me last week. It was really easy and so delicious. 
A 9x13 is much too large for the two of us, so I put half of this in the freezer. I'll have to let you know if it freezes well.

Chili Cornbread Casserole

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (can use skim)
4 oz. can green chilies, drained 
14.5 oz. can creamed corn
1/8 t. cayenne pepper

At this point, you can use your favorite chili recipe or continue on with this:

McCormick chili seasoning pack
can diced tomatoes
can kidney beans, undrained
1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
3 oz. shredded cheese (can use reduced fat)

1. Heat oven to 400, spray a 9x13 casserole.
2. Combine the cornbread mix, egg, milk, green chilies, creamed corn and cayenne pepper. Pour into the casserole. Bake for 20 minutes until fully cooked.
3. Make chili.
4. Remove cornbread from oven. Poke all over with a fork. Spread chili over the cornbread and top with cheese. Bake an additional 15 minutes.
5. Top with your favorite toppings: crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, green onion, avacado, etc. 

I only used some crushed tortilla chips. It gave it a little crunch. Very delicious. I'm sure you all have that dolled up cornbread recipe. I like how this combines it   for an all in one dish.
****************************************************************

I don't usually make dessert because I am the sweet eater around here. Butch will have one piece and then that's it. I decided to make this new recipe because I had a couple tubes of crescent rolls that were going to expire.

Crescent Cherry Cheesecake Cobbler

1 can crescent Rolls
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 can cherry pie filling
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spray 8x8 baking dish.
3. Unroll and line 4 of the rolls on the bottom. Seal seams.
4. Combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar with mixer until smooth. Add 1 t. vanilla and beat again.
5. Spread over crescent rolls.
6. Top with pie filling.
7. Top with remaining crescents.
8. Pour melted butter on top. 
9. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
10. Bake 35-45 minutes until golden.

Refrigerate leftovers.

To finish up my last tube of crescent rolls, I found this new recipe. It makes a 9x13 pan. I wasn't worried about too many leftovers because of our regular Friday swim and the "kids" would be over on Saturday for a pool day.
****************************************************************

Salted Chocolate Chip Bars

1 can crescent rolls
Press on bottom and 1/2" up sides of pan. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

2 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
2 T. melted butter
1 t. vanilla
1 egg, beaten
Mix and pour over crust. Top with:

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of coarse or kosher salt.
Bake an additional 15-20 minutes until golden. Cool completely.

Sidenote: I thought I had coarse salt, but couldn't find it. Then I remembered that it had stuck together, so I had tossed it. I don't use that very often. Instead, I took my regular salt shaker and just sprinkled the top. That worked out fine. Beware, these were messy to eat. Especially at the pool in 97 degree weather!

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.