Monday, July 6, 2020

Monday Mystery

If it's not one thing, it's another! Seems like there's something every week! Last week it was the tree, the week before, the pool filter, then the chimney, then the pool cleaner---always something. Now we have an air condition unit out. So what I'm about to get in to is not expensive--thank goodness--just annoying and a mystery.

This morning, when I got home from my walk, Butch said, "Go look at the pond." I replied, "Oh no!" I knew before I went out there what it was going to be. I had deja vu from 2011 when this happened. I was certain that something had once again, eaten our fish. This is what the pond is supposed to look like:

 The shamrock plant is beautiful and was spreading out quite nicely. The water hyacinths had filled in too. When I stepped outside, I first noticed this:
 That little turtle which is a key holder that we don't use that way, was tossed. The two plants that sit on the ledge---including the shamrock plant were gone---or so I thought. Instead, they were laying in the bottom of the pond.
The fountain spout was tossed out. Then, I held my breath as I peered over the edge to see whether the fish survived this attack. To my surprise...
...there they were! Phew! We started to speculate as to what, somewhat large animal had done all of this. If you know anything about water plants, those pots are very heavy! And to toss the fountain out! What could it be? I'm thinking it's a raccoon. But even that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough to move those plants. 

Whatever it was, either it wasn't really after the fish, or the fish had enough places to hide. We're assuming it happened after dark, but we don't really know for sure. It's a mystery. One, I'm sad to say, will probably remain unsolved. 

Or, perhaps it was Bruno the bear!
He's wandering through Missouri. Maybe he's made his way down here. Hmmm, a bear...they like fish and are very strong. Just maybe...

2 comments:

  1. Well that is a mystery! I think I'd prefer to think it was a raccoon and not a bear visiting the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say it was a raccoon. Bruno was shot with a tranquilizer and moved to an undisclosed location!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.