Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Wednesday in the Garden

I just love this time of year. Things are starting to bloom. It's also a time of mystery---what didn't make it? 
You almost can't see it, but if you look really close you can see a "forest pansy redbud." I like it for the purple color. It was just planted last year, so it's still little. Next year it will show up and really make a statement. The hydrangeas in front are getting ready to bloom.

Virginia sweet spire has plenty of flowers that should pop out in about a week. This is one of my favorites--so unusual. 

These peonies are just about finished. It seems like they only last about a week.

This is a different variety that is just starting. I cut some and put them in a vase. See below.

This Henry iii clematis never disappoints.


This was most disappointing. Some large animal--I guess a deer---laid down and smashed two of these French hydrangeas.

This is a 25 year old climbing white hydrangea that didn't bloom until the year before last---but only a few. That was the year that we added several new ones along the fence. I guess they were able to cross pollinate. Then, last year, this look like it had totally died--we had a very late freeze. I'm anxious to see what happened this year since it looks like it's coming back. We'll see.
Here's a close-up of the forest pansy redbud.

And here are the peonies. 

Unfortunately, it's been raining the last couple of days, so I haven't had a chance to see what's new. 

Our patio is looking good. I decided to do something different on the patio this year---all red. So far, I am loving it. But then, we haven't hit the smothering heat of summer yet. 

I got a red tree hibiscus. I forgot that the blooms only last a single day. We also got a new water plant with a red bloom. In the bed to the right of the pond, has a couple of red begonias. The wall basket has a wandering jew plant that we brought out from the sunroom. The window box has red geraniums and red impatiens. On the table is a geranium in a pot with some creeping Jenny.
More red geraniums. It's all a lot of work, but hopefully we'll have color all summer. I hope so. 

Nothing is blooming around the pool yet. I've had a lot of new things planted there, so I'm anxious to see how it all works out. 

How does your garden grow?









1 comment:

  1. Those geraniums look so good against the green of your cushions. You're a bit ahead of us with peonies, ours are just about to bud - probably because our weather has been colder and wetter than normal recently! Peonies are so pretty aren't they? It's just a shame that their flowering time is so short. It is great to see gardens springing back into life after the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.