Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Travel Tuesday

By the time you are reading this, I'll be on my way to St. Louis. This will be the first time I'm seeing my sisters since January. Actually, I'll be going to Salem, MO which is about 2 hours from St. Louis. This will be my first time seeing Jennifer and Parvez's farm. They've had it for a really long time---10 years or more, but usually when I come to St. Louis, I see Jennifer there. She retired right about the time of the lockdown so has moved permanently to the farm.

In preparation for this trip, I tried to get a Covid test to be on the safe side. The twins are being so careful---I certainly don't want to be the one to bring it to them. So on Friday, I went to CVS where I'd heard that you can get the test for free. I went inside and only had to wait about 5 minutes at the Minute Clinic. When I got inside, the nurse said that to get the Covid test, you have to be pre-screened through the app and make an appointment for the drive through. Since she couldn't help me, she suggested that I get my flu shot---also free. I did. She told me I was eligible for the "super" flu shot due to my age. I knew that from last year. She said that this year, the shot was good for 4 different strains of the flu. Great! Got the shot and was on my way.

After leaving, I went on the app. I started answering the questions. As it turns out, I wasn't eligible for the Covid testing unless I lied. I didn't want to do that because I felt like that might be jinxing myself. About the time I check "my doctor has made this a priority"---would be the time I actually came down with it! I also didn't want to lie about the symptoms.

Good thing, as later in the evening I started feeling a little "woozy." I knew it was from the flu shot because another friend had just told me about her experience last week. She said that she thought it was the power of suggestion because when she told someone else about it, they too had some side effects. Well, I'm here to say that there's no "power of suggestion" about it! That night, I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and felt horrible---feverish, weak and dizzy. By the time I woke up----8:30 a.m (can't remember the last time I slept that late), most of those symptoms were gone. By 11 a.m. I was back to normal. If I hadn't just had that shot, I would have assumed it was Covid, for sure!

Upon arrival in St. Louis, I'll be meeting my cousins, Chrissy and Judy for lunch. We plan to meet outside somewhere if possible.

I'll get to Salem in the early evening. We're planning to spend most of our time outside. I'm planning to wear my mask whenever we're inside. Janet is going with me, so we're getting a hotel room too.  I'm pretty sure I'll need a break from the twins 5 dogs and 2 cats! 2 dogs and 1 cat for Janice and  3 dogs and 1 cat for Jennifer! That's a lot of smells! Remember I have a sensitive nose. 

I'm looking forward to some time with the girls---after all, we had to cancel our sisters trip this year. 

I can't believe that I do not have a single picture with just the three of us. I'll be sure to remedy that this trip!! In the meantime, I cropped everyone else out of this one.
Barbara, Janice and Jennifer.
 

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, that's a lovely photo of the three of you - and it'll be super to have an up-to-date one for you to compare with this. Glad you got the flu jab and thank-you for the heads up about possible side effects. Hoping you have a splendid trip and really enjoy seeing the family, and that you all stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh do enjoy your time with your sisters, and enjoy the experience of the farm, where I will surely encounter more scents than just dogs and cats.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.